X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your opinion please

hi all got my 3650 up and running and boy is it sweet! starting to get my shop put together and want to buid some infeed and outfeed tables for the saw. Thought I would more or less make a central work center around my saw. Anyway I want to have cabinets with drawers and shelves under the infeed and outfeed tops for my tools etc etc. Was wanting your advice as to how wide the drawers should be. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of 14 to 16 inches wide. Do you think that would be on the small side. anyway all thoughts will be appreciated. Everything is still in the ruff planning stage right now so just trying to get some input that might help me with my ideals. thanks in advance johny

Re: your opinion please

Make your work benches the same height as your saw, and make them light enough one can mover them around if needed, that way if you need to move them it is easy to do so to make different cuts,

In one shop I made two narrow tables 12" wide and 8' long and were very easy to move could be put behind side or back or front, and was easy to set up and worked very well, (they do not have to be 8' long) but it was nice with ply wood, and being narrow they could be used together, or independently,

and being narrow still gave room to work between the saw and the table,

between the two tables and a work bench the same height it was easy to handle large or odd pieces.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If I understand correctly, you want to build permanent/semi-permanent infeed/outfeed tables with drawers below for your TS3650. If I got it wrong, just ignore what I say next...

An outfeed table is very useful, and you'll be happy to have one. But, IMHO, unless you have exceptionally long reach, an infeed table will only have very limited utility and get in the way more often than not. I wouldn't make it very permanent...

As far as drawer width, I have some 12 and 24 inchers in my tool chest. The 12's are too narrow for most things. The 24's give much more flexibility for organizing odd shaped stuff. 18's might be a nice happy medium... 4" deep seems to be about right for a lot of stuff, but you'll also want a couple shallow ones for small things and a couple deep drawers as well.

Just my $0.02.

-Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SWLigler View Post
        If I understand correctly, you want to build permanent/semi-permanent infeed/outfeed tables with drawers below for your TS3650. If I got it wrong, just ignore what I say next...

An outfeed table is very useful, and you'll be happy to have one. But, IMHO, unless you have exceptionally long reach, an infeed table will only have very limited utility and get in the way more often than not. I wouldn't make it very permanent...

As far as drawer width, I have some 12 and 24 inchers in my tool chest. The 12's are too narrow for most things. The 24's give much more flexibility for organizing odd shaped stuff. 18's might be a nice happy medium... 4" deep seems to be about right for a lot of stuff, but you'll also want a couple shallow ones for small things and a couple deep drawers as well.

Just my $0.02.

-Steve
        thanks steve and yes you understood me right. I was playing around with windows paint and have a couple ruff drafts (not drawn to scale ) would post them so you would understand more but cant make them smaller right now.
        I remember someone on here posted a link awhile back to a picture shrinker but I already had it till my computer crashed and I lost it. so am looking for that again too. Thing is I forgot the name of it

Comment

Originally posted by johnyreb View Post
          I remember someone on here posted a link awhile back to a picture shrinker but I already had it till my computer crashed and I lost it. so am looking for that again too. Thing is I forgot the name of it
          What I've used is called Irfanview. It's free and can resize pictures easily. You can find it at http://www.irfanview.com/ . To resize a .bmp or .jpg or any other picture format, use the Image menu, and choose resize/resample. In that dialog box you can resize the picture to any of a number of preset sizes (and keep the ratio).
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
            What I've used is called Irfanview. It's free and can resize pictures easily. You can find it at http://www.irfanview.com/ . To resize a .bmp or .jpg or any other picture format, use the Image menu, and choose resize/resample. In that dialog box you can resize the picture to any of a number of preset sizes (and keep the ratio).
            Thank you VA Sandy its not the one I am used too but it sure will do. now maybe I can post a drawing. thanks again johny

Comment

I put my outfeed table on casters, it's 2x8ft the same height as the saw, has open shelves nothing fancy but it works well for me.

Willy

Comment

i built an outfeed table just slightly lower that than the saw's hieght, to avoid snags while pushing stock through the saw.

I don't use an infeed table very often. I think it would be more hassle than anything else, so i agree with SW's advice.

I made mine out of 2x4's with an MDF top and a plywood shelf underneath - simple, strong, and to the point. Its the same width as the saw and about 4 feet long. My shop is small, so it also doubles as an assembly table. Very handy to have. The shelf underneath holds extra stock.

Leave room for the motor housing when you are building your table and dont forget to cut out a section for the blade guard!

Comment

I'm just getting to setting up an outfeed table for the 3650. I want it to be mobile, and have drawers and shelves. At some point, the shop will be redesigned to better reflect how the tools are used, and the TS will be probably in the middle. With a mobile outfeed/storage unit I'll get a lot of utility from the one area.

For infeed, I use and will continue to use the little flip-top things that Ridgid sells. They're small, unobtrusive, can be folded and stored, but are really useful for large panel work. I use them as in/out-feed tables now. I don't like putting anything permanent or large on the infeed side of the table, as I have very short arms and it's already tough enough to reach things!!
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I built two identical tables from MDF with two shelves each On one shelf I put a tray and on the other a drawer. The one I use for an outfeed table works fine, but the infeed table has never seen use as an infeed table. Makes a nice work table, though. On the outfeed table don't forget to make room for the miter gage bar as well as the motor and leave access room for putting the blade guard on and taking it off. Constructing these tables is a good beginner's project and really helps the functionality of a limited space shop.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X