Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Building a Shed

Hi All,

I have to ask the experts their opinion.

I am going to be building a storage shed (using my new TS 2424) and I have a question.

The area I am going to be placing the shed in is a odd shape. It is 8 feet long. Nad start at 7.5 feet wide and then widens to 9 feet wide.

QUESTION: Should I just build a square shed (8'x7') or should I build the shed to fit the area? Basically it would be 8' long and would start 7' wide and then widen to 8.5' wide.

Would it be too difficult to build a non-square structure?

The roof is going to be simple, single slope roof.

Advice Please.

THANKS

-Peter
    -Peter W. Lent<BR>PMi Solutions<BR>www.pmisolutions.net

Peter,
    I think I would opt for the square shed. Not that it would be difficult to build but looking at my shed, most everything takes a square foot print... Shingling could be a nightmare depending on the roof you build.

I did build a very large shelf in the rear of my barn style shed thou which is 10'x12'... the shelf is 10' wide by 4' deep. It is very heavy built and I store my lawn mower, tiller, and snow blower up there. I put the stuff up with short ramps. It allows for tons of storage underneath and fills dead space near the roof. I just doubled 2"x4" for shelf stringers every 16" and sheeted with 5/8” plywood... This could help you gain more space other than building an out of square building…

If you do build a non typical type shed, I would be interested in seeing pictures once you are complete... sounds interesting…

My $0.02 [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

I'd have to agree---while you could form an odd-sized concrete pad easily and they're only be a bevel cut, on the corners for your wall framing---depending on the direction of roof slope---it could be a real PITA---besides, as things go---if you built a square/retangular shed and had some space left---it will soon be filled up with some highly necessary junk
      Dave

Comment

Doing an out-of-square roof will have you mumbling things to yourself that are better left unsaid. Not to mention the end walls or the corners. The foot or so of room you will loose can be made up with higher walls/different roof design.

Keep it aquare for sanity's sake.
        Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

Comment

Peter, Personallly I would use the extra space. At least to some degree. What's wrong with having an extra rectangular piece say foot and half or two feet out by say 3 or 4 feet wide. You could use the space for built-ins, storage, a multitude of uses. Peter, as you collect more tools and paraphenalia,(sp) you find you NEVER have enough space. Keep it square/rectangular, but utilise all the space you can I say. I have 10' by 20' and 8' high and it's pitifully small when I have accumulated large pieces of machinery, and I have nothing out of the ordinary.
          You could even stagger it. ie a square/rectangular bulge with another going deeper in the bulge if you see what I mean.

Cheers Ivor

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have modified my plans to include a rectangluar shed with a small jet out to utilize the wider end. I think I will use it for built in shelves or something along those lines.

Now, I have a second question.

Roof Truss Design.
            I am going to be making a standard peak roof. 8' tall at the top, sloping to just under 7' tall at the sides.

I am going to be making the roof at of 2x4's. Should I use a header that would run the length of the roof, or just connect to the 2x4's together at the peak and then use a piece of plywood to strengthen the roof supports.

I have seem it done both ways and I am just looking for opinions on what is stronger/easier.

The roof will be covered with 1/2" plywood, tar paper and asphault shingles.

THANKS

Peter
            -Peter W. Lent<BR>PMi Solutions<BR>www.pmisolutions.net

Comment

Peter, The cleanest/strongest/easiest way is with one long header. Set it up with the two end trusses and something temporary in the center. Then build your trusses insitu. Cut angle & butt it to the header (use screws if you can rather than nails, you won't regret it) providing you have power driver that is. Then fasten the lower end down and trim if not cut to correct length and repeat all the way down. Remember that your roof line and length is a bit long where you 'jet out'. Peter the reason I say screw rather than nail is that it's quieter and gentler. If your'e up on the roof pounding the you 'know what' out of the header to put nails in things get moved out of place. I am assuming you dont have a nail gun.

cheers Ivor

Comment

Working...
              X