X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop vacuum hoses, which one?

I need a new 2 1/2" hose for my vac. I have the ridgid hoses now. (NOT the ridgid BRAND, just the hard plastic kind! LOL)

I've been looking at some on eBay that are either 8 or 10 feet long but they are a softer vinyl wire reinforced kind. Has anyone used this kind? I'm a little leary of the wire reinforced ones for 2 reasons.
    1. Step on them....do they stay mashed when the wire gets bent? Second, do they shorten up a lot when you close off the end? As in putting on a crevice tool or such?

The seller says they work fine but do "pull up" a little. I really don't what that.

Mark
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Re: Shop vacuum hoses, which one?

Been doing some searching and found this one at Lowes. Guess it will work!
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

TWM

You do NOT want the hoses with wire in them. If you step on the hose you ruined it. The tuff soft plastic hoses can take more abuse. Are you wanting a good 10 foot hose? In any case if your vac has an inlet about 2-1/2" size, (most drum style vacs do) I recommend looking over the selection by ShopVac Corp and their accessories. Unlike Ridgid where if you want it in less than (a very long time) you have to buy it at Home Depot, they will ship pretty fast. Lowes has some of their hoses and attachments, but they have loads more. Please prowl their site. I tihnk you'll like the selection they offer.

http://shopvac.com/depts.asp?id=11,1...5"+Accessories

http://shopvac.com/depts.asp?id=10,1...5"+Accessories (watch which models they are for)

http://shopvac.com/dept.asp?id=14 (adaptors and connectors)

Remember that ShopVac Corp. makes their money on vacuum cleaners and accessories and not on having all manor of other things in their line. Some of their machines are real junk, but some are pretty good.
      Last edited by Woussko; 07-16-2007, 11:08 AM.

Comment

I would strongly recommend the Ridgid PRO Hose: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Pro-Hose/EN/index.htm
        I wasn't able to find it at any HD but went to Sears and got the Craftsman version of it which was exactly the same but in gray. Its a much tougher hose than the stock ones but flexes very easily and can be turn into extremely tight radius without kinking or damaging it. Its also 10 ft long. The construction quality and and finish is very good.

Comment

I checked out the Pro hose a few weeks ago. When I looked inside the hose, it looked like it was maybe 1 1/2" inside diameter. I really needed the 2" ID of the Shop Vac hose since I use it on my raised panel shaper and style and rail cutters. I ended up at Ace today and got one for 23 bucks. Three bucks more than Lowes but they are about 15 miles from here! LOL

Mark

Comment

Mark

I saw the same thing with the Ridgid Pro hose and did some head scratching. I think you made a wise choice. I hope it works well for you.

Comment

Yep, it works fine. I got the 8' version and the extra 2 feet is great. I step on my stuff all the time. I have the "cheap" 4" on my dust collector and mash it all the time and it comes right back. Sometimes cheap is good! LOL

Mark

Comment

Concur. I have both the traditional black plastic hoses and the Ridgid Pro Hose. The Ridgid is better.

Comment

Working...
                X