X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small slop in 3650 miter gauge

I noticed today that my miter gauge has a very small amount of side-to-side slop in the miter slot. Seems slightly worse in the right one than the left. Certainly nothing to get too excited about, especially for my needs.

My questions to you are:

- Have you noticed this?
    - Have you done anything to fix it?

I thought about adding a small set screw, and I have also seen in Kelly Mehler's table saw book that you can tap the sides with a hammer to make them bow out and help eat up the slack. Anyone ever done that?

I guess I'm inclined to leave well enough alone unless there is an easy fix. Someday I might get a new miter gauge or build a crosscut sled but that ain't gonna happen right now.

Thanks, all!

Mike

Re: Small slop in 3650 miter gauge

Yes, I had the same problem with my 3650 miter gauge. It is easy to eliminate the slop. Locate a center punch. Turn the miter gauge on its side. Hammer 2 small dimples on either end of one side of the bar so that the tiny dimples ride against the side of the miter groove. The dimples will make the bar a tiny bit wider and will take up the slop. Of course, that is only a temporary fix as the little dimples will eventually wear off and you will have the problem again. In the end, I bought an Incra 1000se aftermarket miter gauge. In addition to having a built in adjustment for width, it offers greater precision for angled cuts and supports the work piece better than the original.

Comment

The temp fix will work for awhile, but the best fix is as artmann suggested. Get yourself a quality aftermarket miter gauge. Unfortunately the miter gauges that come with Table Saws are usually less than great. That's generally the case with all Table Saw manufacturers, not just RIDGID.

Comment

Oh man... I finally got sick enough of my Ridgid miter gauge and the less than spectacular cross cuts (I could NEVER hit an actual 90 degree cut... always had to drag out the miter saw) and got an Osborne EB-3 miter gauge. Just arrived yesterday. This is a serious piece of hardware, weighing in around 6-7 lbs. I set it up (just a few minutes) and was astounded at the length of the miter bar. The fence is really nice and ridgid and extends, taking the flip stop out to 42". Out of the box it was set dead-on for the various pre-set angles.

The main thing about this miter gauge, different from all others, is that it's not protractor based. I *almost* bought the Kreg precision miter gauge, and was also considering the Incra... But the fatal flaw of most miter gauges is protractor centric and decreasing support as you get further out. The Osborne is one big triangle. It's weird and is going to take some getting used to...

Anyway, to your question at hand about miter gauge slop.. My Ridgid miter gauge had the same issue. The EB-3 has three expansion points on it's lonnng miter bar, allowing precision adjustment to fit the slot. It is currently on sale for $109 which is cheaper than both the Kreg and the lower end Incras. So far, I'm very pleased with it. If you're into his Norm-ness, apparently this is the one he uses.

http://www.osbornemfg.com/

Comment

I also replaced the 3650 miter guage with the Osborne EB-3. It's well made and accurate. I was looking at the Incra, but opted for the Osborne on Norm's recommendation and price. I'm very satisfied with my decision.

Comment

I have the rockler miter gage, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but for $90 I have a no-slop fit and dead on accuracy. the optional fence is nice too. some of the aftermarket gages cost as much as the saw...

Comment

If I am cutting 45* or 90* angles, I don't use a miter gauge at all. I use sleds that I have made instead. I only use a miter gauge for odd angles and special applications. My experience has been that an accurately made sled will provide better precision than any miter gauge at any price.

Comment

I'd have to agree with that, but the miter gage still comes in handy for many uses.

Comment

Working...
                X