X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Laminate Trimmer

I bought this router after reading an article describing the benefits of using a laminate trimmer. I have not been disappointed and use it for 99% of the edge routing that I do. I like the small size and the way it fits in my hand. It is much easier to use than a full size router. I did immediately build two new base plates. Both are 5X6 for increase stability. One will accept a ½ inch round over bit and the other will accept 1 ¼ router bushings. The factory base plate gets very limited use.

The main problem I encountered was removing the base plate. It was not engineered very well and was a pain to remove to change the bits. I put up with it until the adjustment knob malfunctioned. It would just spin in place and I could not remove or adjust the base. After trying to deal with Ridgid’s warranty service and their web site support, I decided to cut off the adjustment knob. I replaced it with a #10 bolt and wing nut. I still had the problem of removing the base. After close examination I discovered the reason for the difficulty of removing the base was the stop on the upper end of the adjustment ratchet. A few quick swipes with a file and the stop was removed and the problem solved. Now the base easily comes off and the router is a joy to use. In my opinion it is much easier to use than the much acclaimed Bosch Trim Router.

Re: Ridgid Laminate Trimmer

When I bought my PC trim router, I looked really hard at the Ridgid. Didn't like the Bosch at all. The reason I went with PC is the way it fit my hand. Just personal preference. They are such versatile little tools that I think they suffer from being mis-named. Need to drop the "laminate" off the name.
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

I bought this item to supplement my other routers that are mounted on router tables. It has such a sculptured look and a good fit to the hand. It's definitely a keeper. The manual indicates that the base should be removed when removing or installing bits, but I find that there is no problem in getting the wrench into the tool to accomplish that task. I'm like you, I use in for far more than laminates.

Comment

If you loosen the nut about 5 or 6 turns then push in on the nut the base will slide off fairly easily. It's not as smooth as it could (or should) be, but its not that bad. But you won't need to do that now that you have replaced the factory screw and nut. I find the stop at the end of the rack a PITA too, but I have not modified mine by filing it off as yet. I might consider it though as then I could just back the lock nut off a turn or two instead of a half dozen turns.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I'm using the Bosch 'COLT'. Really like it. Much easier to handle for most jobs than the larger PC I have. Most of the time the PC is in the router table. I did look long and hard at the RIDGID but decided on the Bosch.
          If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I have both (Bosch and Rigid) and use them almost daily. The Bosch is set-up with a flush trim bit and the Rigid has a bevel bit. I also have a Dewalt "install kit" that has a tilt base and an off-set base.......It may be a bit excessive, but I work in a commercial cabinet shop, so they all see a lot of use. They all have their place and I don't know that I could pick a favorite.

They all have the same flaw though.... They will not fit back in the case unless the base is adjusted to it's minimum height.

Comment

Working...
            X