X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granite saw tops and fences anyone?

For those that don't get the Popular Woodworking email newsletters, I got this today.

http://popularwoodworking.com/awfs#SteelCity

It would appear that Steel City has developed a granite top table saw hybrid and a jointer with a granite fence. I seem to recall the idea of other options outside of cast iron coming up in a thread a little while back. The tolerances look to be very close and the option of going from cast iron to granite is only a $50 increase on the TS.
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Re: Granite saw tops and fences anyone?

Read the article, wow -- I never even thought about doing it that way. I would think it would still be kind of fragile though. I've never really worked with granite, so I don't know how well it would stack up to daily use.

Comment

Well, about the only difference would be I wouldn't use the TS top as an assembly platform!! You really don't want to be using a hammer around the granite. Other than that...it sounds great! Stable over time without rust. You won't crack a 2" thick slab of granite with a board. You could chip the edges, and they'll probably get pretty rough over time. But the top will keep it's flat for as long as you, your kids, their kids...etc have the saw.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

The top on my 3612 is 1½" thick and the granite top on the Steel City is going to be 2" thick. I wonder if that means that the granite topped Steel City will have a ½" less cutting height capacity?
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

There are some good points. I hadn't really thought about things getting chipped and dinged up as Sandy pointed out. I suppose if that was just on the edges one might be able to somehow sand or grind those out every several years or something? As far as losing the the 1/2" of cutting capacity, I have no clue. I don't see how that could not be the case, unless the area around the throat is maybe recessed a bit underneath to allow for it to sit closer. But it does not look like it in the pictures.

About the only thing I really like about it is the no rust aspect. Ever since we moved back up North, I am having to deal with the rust on my cast iron surfaces much more often. But I think I would just end up chipping the heck out of any granite surface in my shop just between my occasional bouts of stupidity and the kids.
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by wwsmith View Post
            I seem to recall the idea of other options outside of cast iron coming up in a thread a little while back.

So do I. I believe we came to the conclusion that stone or and ceramic type materials would probably make a good surface at the expense of extra weight and possibility of chipping or cracking. That seems to be the case here.

Comment

The article mentions "riving knives"........? HuH? What are riving knives?
              Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
                The article mentions "riving knives"........? HuH? What are riving knives?
                It's a European style of splitter which goes up and down with the blade. More importantly, it stays close to the blade (and so reduces the chance of board pinching the blade which is the main cause of kick-back). It also has the benefit of not needing to be removed to do dado cuts. These are the few points that come to mind.

Comment

I like the idea of the granite tops! That would really impress my customers! LOL

Granite is awesome stuff. Machinists use granite for sitting there measuring instruments on when checking things. It does not expand or contract with heat/cold and is extremely stable.

Corian is also very good for router fences and shaper fences too. Get a blank piece and get your cutter set just right then clamp one end to the fence and slowly feed the new fence into the Corian. You will get a perfect cut in the Corian and it will fit perfectly and prevent blowouts and also gives you a great "guage" for setting up the cutters if you take them out. Make a fence piece for each of your most used cutters.

Mark
                  Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

On another forum there was a discussion the granite-top Steel City saw. Somebody from the company said that the construction of the trunnion assembly was different from the cast-iron type saws and that there would be no loss of cutting height despite the thicker top.
                    Joe Spear

Comment

Working...
                    X