No announcement yet.

How many router tables?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many router tables?

I am thinking of adding a router table to my 3650. I have a freestanding one now but for the sake of efficiency when making doors I'm thinking of an additional one. I was wondering how many of you have more than one table set up and if it really provides that much of a benefit.

Re: How many router tables?

If you are having to use multiple bits or heights, it makes perfect sense to me. I only have one at the moment, but have thought about a second baby table for my laminate router.

I made doll chairs long ago during the Cabbage Patch Kids craze. I had several routers setup for different operations, It was the only way I could keep up with the demand. Those days are past, but I still have two Router tables set up and an out of table larger router for heavy work and a out of table light router for light or free hand work.

A Woodworker can't have enough routers!

I also have several drills, one for hand drilling, an impact driver for screwing
      and a drill press for repeating and or heavy work.

Sure makes the job go much quicker!

My very first router, a Ryobi combi kit (router & table) is used for dedicated roundover stuff. I keep either a 1/8" or 1/4" roundover bit in it pretty much all the time. There is a rare occasion I might use this for a bevel instead... but I like rounded over edges better.

I use my DeWalt router in the router table extension for 99% of my woodworking. But oftentimes it comes in handy to have both in use. For example, my whole family wants a bunch of adirondack chairs this summer (probably a total of 12). Since I have the component pieces templated I'll do the template routing work, then hand it over to my sister who will use the Ryobi table to roundover the appropriate edges on each piece. We can knock out all the parts for a couple of chairs in just a few hours, and then it's ready to assemble with minimal cleanup work prior to finishing.

Now, what I have is a cheap router with a cheap table (the kit was $99), and a high quality router with a high quality table... If you are, for example, using dual setups to simplify making cabinet doors or something, you probably need two high quality setups, which of course means more cost.

Would I say it's nice to have a dual setup? ... yeah, it is handy sometimes. Necessity... No, not really. I could template route a stack of parts, then swap bits and do the roundover on them all.