At my own risk....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At my own risk....

I ask this in hopes of not incurring the wrath of half of the forum. I have read all of the posts on the bandsaw vibration issues and I still have some questions. I have installed a link belt on the saw and new tires. My vibration issue isn't bad but it won't pass the nickel test. The vibration is at it's worst when I shut the saw off. First of all I'm wondering how much vibration is too much? Additionally, I have moved the motor back and forth in increments and that doesn't seem to change much. In fact I've had to use a pry bar to move it back into position and even then it doesn't change the vibration much. I don't use the saw that much to justify going through the pain of getting new wheels. Any other suggestions?

Re: At my own risk....

Hey, another poster from Arizona!! LOL

I used to have an old Craftsman band saw and it vibrated. I now have an older Delta 14" tank and it has "some" vibration. It's most likely the wheels that are out of wack. Short of having them balanced or replacing them, I just live with it. If it was hopping around the shop, I'd think about fixing it but for the few times I use it, it's not a biggie for me.

Mark
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

My new 14" Delta had some vibration. Delta sent me new wheels and I installed the saw on the Delta Mobile base and this helped a great deal. Still has a little vibration but I can live with it now.

Comment

If you want to try balancing the wheels, copper wire around the spokes held with some HVAC tape will make a balancing weight that does not require permanent deformation of the wheel. Take the blade off and let the wheel free spin. When the heavy side settles to the bottom, add weight to the top. Repeat, and move the weight in or out on the spoke to get where the wheel randomly stops at different spots each time.

Just a thought if you have the time and patience.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks Gofor, I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
          X