X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router info

I am a novice at a lot of wood working techniques. I am looking for cd's or mags. that would help me to learn the potential and how too's. A picture is worth a million words to this nut.

Looking thru some info; the choice of tables, fences, lifts and types of bits is overwelming.

you can post info here are email me at Tommy6534@earthlink.net Thanks again for any help.

If your router is new and came with a manual, read it, then try here for a start:
    http://www.routerforums.com/

This is the Rosendahl's site (the PBS "Router Workshop" program). I'd suggest you buy a book and read up, I don't have any specific suggestions on that. First and foremost: read and heed all safety advice.

Another good woodworking site I frequent is www.bt3central.com. It's devoted to the Ryobi table saw, but there's a "Getting Started" forum that's a good place to ask newbie questions.

Beyond that, I find I learn best by doing, watching shows like router workshop, and reading tips. But really, first learn the do's and dont's of routers, starting with proper feed direction, speeds and feed rates, how deep/wide to cut in a single pass, bit changing, which bits are safe for handheld and which (such as raised panel) should be used in a table only etc. Buy only quality bits. Store brand stuff from places like WoodCraft (they have a $5 bit sale on right now, good way to get some basic bits cheap), Lee Valley, or MLCSWoodworking.com are OK, you don't have to go with the pricey name brands like WhiteSide or Freud, but don't be tempted to save money buying no-name bits off of Ebay or the like. They're spinning at up to 25,000 RPM, so don't take any chances. Also, if you're router handles them, buy only 1/2" shanks wherever possible, much stronger and flex less than 1/4", and usually the same price.

Comment

An excellent book for beginners and the experienced alike is Pat Warners', The Router Book(ISBN 1-56158-423-1). Pat has a very informative website also and you can buy his book through the site or locally.

Another source for books is Woodworkers Book Club. When I joined, I received 4 books for free. Once you're a member, you get a free book for every four you buy. If you pay with a credit card, when you place the order, shipping is free. Pat Warners' book is also available through them.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Another option would be to investigate if your local adult evening school programs have any woodworking courses or if you have a Woodcraft store nearby they offer classes in various areas but they are not cheap.

Comment

I have to second the Pat Warner site. I just purchased his media special which includes his book, a dvd and a cd with all sorts of info. Great stuff. He also sells great sub-bases and offset bases for a number of routers. I would suggest those too.

Michael

Comment

Try your local library! One of my favorite introductory books is Patrick Spielman's Router Guide. It is give a very good look at router types, features, bits, etc. and also provides some nice overviews of some router projects. Lots of illutrations and picture examples.

CWS

Comment

Take a look at "Router Magic" (ISBN 0-7621-0185-7) by Bill Hylton.

The book has some excellent jigs and fixtures that will save you time and increase your accuracy.

I especially like the low tech approach he uses and his breakdown of router applications.

The book is also full of advanced approaches and small shop built machines for router work.

[ 03-10-2005, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Desmo888 ]

Comment

Working...
              X