Suggested wall material for a workshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested wall material for a workshop

I am designing my workshop. It is a 13' x 23' outbuilding and currently just has studs on the outer walls. Some walls are partially insulated and have chipboard covering.

I was wondering from everyone's experience what is the best material for a workshop wall? I know how to put up sheetrock. Should I use sheetrock, chipboard, or plywood for the outer walls? How about the ceiling? Or does it not make any difference and I should choose the cheapest?

Ivan,

Check out the shop tour on my website. I used 1/2" OSB for the walls of my shop and then painted them white. The OSB was about $0.40 per sheet less than drywall and you dont have to mess with finishing it like you do with drywall. One big advantage is that if you want to hang anything on the wall you do not have to worry about locating studs or using anchors, just drive a nail or screw and you are done. Another advantage is that if you ever get a kickback, (check your e-mail) it is less likely to knock a big hole in the wall.
    -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

Ivan,

You might want to consider plywood for part of the wall (Code may require drywall for fire reasons). The ply will make hanging shelf/cabinets or other items real easy. It also is tough enough to with stand normal shop abuse such as nocking into it. As fo rthe ceiling, mine is open rafter. Gives me a place to store clamps and jigs ect. Paint as much as you can bright white. It will give you a lot better reflection off of your lights.
      Support Our Troops!
      www.mnpatriotguard.org
      www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Ivan---if I were doing the walls in my shop (finsihed when I moved in), I'd go with the plywood idea---while OSB does the same thing, (as to easy attachement of hangers, etc., even with paint, cob webs (which you will get) are a PITA to clean off--due to the rough surface---sawdust will also tend to cling. One or two coats of white or light colored paint, should give you a smmoth surface on plywood, with an A or B side facing out.

Be sure to check on local codes, but tell them it's an out-building---non occupancy and you should be good on the plywood issue.

Dave
        Dave

Comment

I installed drywall with a smooth finish and semi-gloss latex paint. I find this finish for me helps eliminate the sawdust build up and wipes down easily. Besides if I ever have to move in it will be more like home.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. Just a note. I live in Minnesota. This outbuilding workshop must have finished insulated walls otherwise I will have a hard time keeping it warm. Whatever solution, I must be able to weatherproof it.

Comment

In my I went with OSB on the lower half and Drywall on the upper...seems to work pretty well. I have the more finished look of drywall, while giving me the "durability" of the OSB on the lower (it inevitable that something like a garden tool will it the wall).

Jake

Comment

Ivan,
                I live in Minnesota as well (the up north part) and heating is a big issue. When I finished the old Garage-mahal I did the entire thing in drywall. It helped the heat retention immensly (with vapor barrier). the next one I build will be plywood. Sure drywall looks good, but the durability stinks. And everytime you want to hang something out comes the old stud sensor. And taping and mudding is not my idea of fun...

Gary
                GaryO

Comment

Does anyone know if there are safety concerns with wood/plywood/OSB walls (as to fire)? Can you weatherize plywood/OSB walls ok like you can sheetrock since all seams are totally sealed?

Comment

Ivan

I checked with the building inspector. He stated that in an out building I would not have to use drywall, but he highly suggested that I do. Although I do not plan on building an outbuilding I figured that way your inspector won't be making a visit to you in a month or so!

This is what I would do. Put up drywall. Prior to putting on primer, put up a strip of 3/4" plywood. This will let you find the studs a little easier. Since you will most likly not mount too much below three to four feet above the floor, why put it there? Now you can prime and paint. Hang your cabinets, shelves or what not and you've got a nice sturdy surface.

Also for heat, why not look at one of the corn burning stoves? put out lots of heat, and as you know, corn is pretty cheap in our area. Down side is that you need to be able to store @ 50 bushel to make the savings work out.
                    Support Our Troops!
                    www.mnpatriotguard.org
                    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Does anyone know if moisture will be a problem? Someone told me that I need to keep the workshop warm all the time else I will have condensation problems. If my workshop is tight, will moisture condense on my tools if I warm the shop up every few days (compared to being cold all the time or being warm all the time)? I know I do have moisture problems in my garage in the spring when everything is cold and the temperatures rise. But my garage leaks like a sieve.

Comment

Ivan

The type of heat you use will have an impact on the water in the air. A propane and/or kerosine heat will produce water as a by product. Also, heating cold air will do this. How much will depend on the relative humidity at the time. I would suggest that you keep the shop "warm" (@50) when not in use. You will also find this to be easy to heat up. Think of the "normal" winter. Raising the temp of your shop to say 65 when it's -20 outside will take sometime, hence use more fuel. If you are using a propane or kersine heater (i.e. NIPCO type) you will be putting a lot of water vapor in the air. Not good for tools and wood!
                        Support Our Troops!
                        www.mnpatriotguard.org
                        www.patriotguard.org

Comment

I was thinking about using an older used 220v electric forced air furnace. Even though electric heat is typically more expensive, since I was not planning on heating the shop all the time, I thought this might be ok. It has a big enough blower to heat up the space within a few minutes. I thought also that electric heat won't create any additional moisture in the air. Is this the case?

BTW, if the shop is pretty tight, do you think I will have moisture problems heating up the shop every couple of days with electric heat?

[ 05-24-2002, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Ivan ]

Comment

Ivan,

Electric will be a good choice, but I stand my the keeping it above 50 at all times. Think about what happens when warm air and cold air meet. We get lots of rain. When it's cold out, and you warm the shop, you will get water vapor in the air. How much will have to do with a lot of factors such as the relative humidity. Will you get a lot? Most likly not. But why risk the rust on your tools? It will also cost less to heat in the long run. Contact a heating/plumbing contrator. (Not the Power Company. They are mis-leading people on the set back of heat/cool. The only one who saves are the power companies.)
                            Support Our Troops!
                            www.mnpatriotguard.org
                            www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Working...
                            X