Preserving the finish of the Cast Iron Table

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserving the finish of the Cast Iron Table

Please assist. My husband has purchased a Ridgid Cast Iron Table Saw and the table is staining. (water glass rim, humidity levels causing rusting, etc...) What can I use to clean it and how do I keep the surface from staining?

For rust removal use a combination of a Scotch-brite pad, the kind thats made for use with teflon coated pans, some WD-40 and a random orbital sander. This method will usually clean up most rust problems.

To keep the top free of rust, my method is to use a bottom layer of Bostik TopCote® followed by two coats of Johnsons Paste Wax. It's important when choosing a wax that you pick one that DOES NOT contain silicone. Most car waxes have silicone in them.

There are other ways and products available to clean up and protect against rust. These products have worked well for me but alot really depends on your climate. I typically strip and recoat my iron twice a year. Those living in higher humidity areas of the country probably need to keep a closer eye on thier iron than I do.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

How did he get you to clean his toy? You better be getting equal time on the saw!!
      Originally posted by sebring76:
      Please assist. My husband has purchased a Ridgid Cast Iron Table Saw and the table is staining. (water glass rim, humidity levels causing rusting, etc...) What can I use to clean it and how do I keep the surface from staining?

Comment

use the bostik top coat, then what i do is lightly sprinkle baby powder on the top and cover the top with a piece of paneling. i live in mich. and my shop is in the garage,i used to have problems with rust until i did this.good luck

Comment

Working...
        X