X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting mdf

I did a search and really did not find anything specific to my questions.

I am doing a small project with 3/4 mdf.
    I want to paint it and I know just using a can of spray paint will end up as a poor result.
    I did read about priming but not much else.
    What type of primer do you suggest? I do have some "KILZ" and I wonder if that would work as a primer? Or, is it necessary to use some sort of lacquer as a sealer?
    This will be an indoor project so moisture will not be an issue.
    Is there a specific product for priming MDF?

The final color will be a cherry red, this is similar to a Sears Craftsman tool box red.

thanks

Cactus Man

Re: painting mdf

I don't think you need to seal it with laquer..unless you're doing a specific type of paint (like a glaze or something). A regular primer should be fine, then a good quality topcoat. With the right color primer, the red should really pop! I don't think I'd use killz on it, personally.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I've painted MDF with just latex, no problem and it covered well. The only challenge is the ends or edges where you've made the cut. That may take a little sanding and two or three coats of paint to look good. Probably a sealer or primer there would be helpful as the edges will soak up the paint.

CWS

Comment

Ask BadgerDave (He has told others about the good stuff) what sealer he recommends. I know the name but can't think of it. It's far better stuff than Kilz is. I would try a regular latex primer myself and then paint it.
        Last edited by Woussko; 07-27-2007, 02:57 AM.

Comment

This is the link, best on the shelf market. You can buy this stuff just about anywhere, anymore. Price has even dropped considerably.

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=11
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Just to let you know, I have addressed the edge issue..I have all corners mitered! so that will not be a problem.
            Thanks for the replies

Cactus Man

Comment

As I was thinking about the red color on the MDF, it occurred to me that you might be better off to paint a lighter color primer than match the red paint. MDF is so dark to begin with that a lighter primer could help out with making the red top coat brighter. Just a thought...and a theory really! I've never painted a dark color on MDF so I'm not sure how it'll do.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Since I had a can of KILZ I decided why not give it a try.
                I gave the mdf two coats and then sanded with wet 200 grit.

I just applied the first coat of cherry red and wow! it pops!

I will do two more coats and the project is finished.

I therefore recommend KILZ primer on MDF. I used their water based stuff for easy clean up.

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
                X