Ridgid Planer issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Planer issue

I have a Ridgid TP1300 planer that I have used for a number of years that has been hooked up to a shop vaccuum for dust control. This last spring I installed a central dust collector system, which I love, however I am still getting a small amount of chips that are not being collected. Hence they lay on the planer bed and get stuck to the next board. My question is "Is this normal, or is something not quite right? I have a 4" dia collector hose to the collector hood and the smaller 2" dia hole covered.
    Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Ridgid Planer issue

I had the same problem but my planer was only hooked up to a shop vac. A couple of things I tried helped. The first thing I did was clean the bed and rollers with some denatured alcohol. That certainly helped with chips sticking to the rollers. Secondly, whenever I am planing quite a bit of material I will pause every 5-10 minutes and clean/blow everything out. I know the headache you are going through. Those little chips stick to the board and then you're left with tiny indentations that you have to sand out. It's a very frustrating process. I hope this helps.

Comment

It might be that the air flow through this one tool is not enough for the DC so it is not developing the CFM that it could. You might try opening another blast gate a bit and see if the increased flow helps. A shop vac and a DC are different kinds of air pumps, or more correctly I guess designed for different tasks. One is high volume and a low static pressure (a DC is anywhere from 8" to 14" H2O or more depending on many factors), and the other is high suction (even lower static pressure) at a lower volume (shop-vac).
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

My experience its sometimes the wood type.Longer shavings get stuck all the time in mine (pine for one) with a 1.5hp DC hooked up to it.

Comment

Working...
        X