10% Sale at Woodcraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10% Sale at Woodcraft

Well, I made the mistake of going over to the local (35 miles away) Woodcraft store because today was their 10% off everything (almost) sale.

I ended up getting the lathe I have been drooling over for the past year, the Nova DVP XP. It won't be in until next weekend so I am still waiting. They only had one left when I got there (the display) and I didn't want that one.
    I have been on the fence about buying this lathe and I finally decided if I am going to get one it is going to be a good one and capable of doing anything I might want to do. It's been 25 years since I had a lathe in my shop, so no doubt it will be like starting from scratch.

I see on Teknatool's website that they have an accessory for doing ornamental turning on their lathes. It also lets you do some light metal turning with a toolpost attachment and wood threading such as for threaded lids on round boxes, might have to look into one of those too.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 10-19-2007, 03:56 PM.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Re: 10% Sale at Woodcraft

Very nice score there Bob

That's a beautiful lathe

Have fun
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Well I picked my lathe yesterday but don't have time this weekend to get it set up. I'll work on that during the week I hope once I decide on a place in the shop to set it up. Gonna need to re-think my tool layout.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

Good luck with your turning. It is addictive. I started recently also and it is a blast! The lathe is just the beginning of the costs of woodturning. Make sure you get a face shield for protection. I strongly suggest finding a local turning group to get some instruction. There is a lot of helpful turning forums on the internet. Do not know what kind of tools you have but Harbor Freight has a couple of low cost sets that are a good start while you are still learning to sharpen. Get the set of 8 for about $36 if ordering off the web but get the better set with red handles if buying in their store for about $49. Both are good deals, IMHO.
        Start off slow then taper off.

Comment

Thanks for the info mpax. I had a lathe years ago but only used it to reproduce some porch spindles on the house I was renovating. Other than that I don't have much background with a wood lathe. I sold the lathe in 1990 but for some reason didn't let go of the turning chisel set I had so I have those to start out with. Right now I am building up my shop in anticipation of being fully retired in about 3 to 5 years and be able to waste my days in the shop making sawdust, so I have plenty of time to learn.

Comment

Working...
          X