X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10% Sale at Woodcraft

Well, I made the mistake of going over to the local (35 miles away) Woodcraft store because today was their 10% off everything (almost) sale.

I ended up getting the lathe I have been drooling over for the past year, the Nova DVP XP. It won't be in until next weekend so I am still waiting. They only had one left when I got there (the display) and I didn't want that one.
    I have been on the fence about buying this lathe and I finally decided if I am going to get one it is going to be a good one and capable of doing anything I might want to do. It's been 25 years since I had a lathe in my shop, so no doubt it will be like starting from scratch.

I see on Teknatool's website that they have an accessory for doing ornamental turning on their lathes. It also lets you do some light metal turning with a toolpost attachment and wood threading such as for threaded lids on round boxes, might have to look into one of those too.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 10-19-2007, 04:56 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: 10% Sale at Woodcraft

Very nice score there Bob

That's a beautiful lathe

Have fun
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Well I picked my lathe yesterday but don't have time this weekend to get it set up. I'll work on that during the week I hope once I decide on a place in the shop to set it up. Gonna need to re-think my tool layout.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      ---------
      ---------

Comment

Good luck with your turning. It is addictive. I started recently also and it is a blast! The lathe is just the beginning of the costs of woodturning. Make sure you get a face shield for protection. I strongly suggest finding a local turning group to get some instruction. There is a lot of helpful turning forums on the internet. Do not know what kind of tools you have but Harbor Freight has a couple of low cost sets that are a good start while you are still learning to sharpen. Get the set of 8 for about $36 if ordering off the web but get the better set with red handles if buying in their store for about $49. Both are good deals, IMHO.
        Start off slow then taper off.

Comment

Thanks for the info mpax. I had a lathe years ago but only used it to reproduce some porch spindles on the house I was renovating. Other than that I don't have much background with a wood lathe. I sold the lathe in 1990 but for some reason didn't let go of the turning chisel set I had so I have those to start out with. Right now I am building up my shop in anticipation of being fully retired in about 3 to 5 years and be able to waste my days in the shop making sawdust, so I have plenty of time to learn.
          ---------------
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

Working...
          X