Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Dennis

Hey guys,

I have a chestnut oak tree about 30 inches in diameter that Dennis took down, does anyone have experience with this type wood and know if it is worth trying to convert into lumber? I can always use it for firewood but there is a sawmill nearby I could take it to if it is worthy.

I have only heard of white and red oak, never chestnut used in woodworking.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Some good info on Chestnut in this thread
    Chestnut Thread in another forum

My grandfathers house was all done in chestnut panel and trim, looks fantastic. Unfortunatly he passed on before I was smart enough to absorb most of his wisdom

Comment

Why not call the saw mill they can probably tell you the worth and cost of the milling the tree.

I once found three logs of Black Walnut that had floated down river after a flood. A veneer company bought the logs, paid to have them picked up and repaired the damage done by the big gear they used to retrieve the logs.

I also had a friend that found out his whole house was framed in black walnut 4x4 12" on center with a 2' x 4' main beam in the basement. He also had a hen house done totally in Black Walnut. He sold the hen house and pulled as many studs as he dared out of his house and made enough to pay for his toys for years to come.
      Rev Ed

Comment

Steelwoodworker,

You probably don't hear much about it in modern woodworking because it is fairly rare. Chestnut was one of the great North American woods and you'll find it in a lot of early Victorian homes. A blight at the turn of the century wiped out most of the east coast chestnut trees. I read an article a couple of months ago (wished I had saved it) that was about botonist trying to bring it back through hybrids. Apparently the fungus still exists in the soil and any new plantings are still plagued.

The wood is quite beautiful, nice grain pattern. Our first home had a chestnut foyer. Really very nice looking with a rich darker brown tone. House sold the first day on the market with three prospective buyers squabling over it. I wish I could have afforded to keep it and still move out of town for that new job back then.

Call your local sawmill and don't let the tree get away from you!

CWS

[ 07-14-2005, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

Sorry guys, I accidently mislead you. This is not American Chestnut that was taken out by the blight. It is in the oak family actually and looks like this .

I dont know what the wood looks like as I have never cut into one.

The suggestion from Rev Ed is good, I will call the sawmill and ask them. Hadnt thought about that!

07/15/05 Talked to the sawmill, said it would make a pretty tan wood good for furniture making. Guess I will give it a try.

Jerry

[ 07-15-2005, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: steelewoodworker ]
          It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

Working...
          X