Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crab Apple wood

Hi all
    I have just cut down a crab apple tree that was pretty big as far as apple trees go. I am considering making boards out of some of it and using it in a project. Has anyone any experience or heard of anyone using that wood?

Re: Crab Apple wood

i have never heard anything good or bad about them but i do know some guys use apple wood trees for b-b-q,ing and if you do any smoking it gives the food a "fruity"taste
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Hi Dustbreather!

I don't know about crabapple wood specifically, but it'd be interesting to find out. I'd imagine it to be fairly dense. It could be fairly figured, considering how branches come off at all angles. Be careful if you use the branches for boards. Branches are called "reactionary wood" because they are kind of stressed. As the wood de-stresses, it will crack. It's very hard to keep that wood from cracking.

Good luck with it!! Please post some pictures of the boards when you get some. It'll be interesting to see your progress.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I think you are right, VASandy, from what I have read, it is a dense, hard wood. I will definitely post some pics if I get it turned into boards.
        I do plan on throwing some of it into the smoker to flavor BBQ ribs with.

Comment

glad to be of help to ya. even if sandy was more help than i, but i just like to burn things ........ lol
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Read up on proper curing or you'll end up with something like I got in a stack of cherry. All of it was cut 2" thick and 6 to 8" wide but every oneof those boards was split down the middle for 12 to 16" !! From what I gather it was cured too fast, the ends weren't sealed and it was left to lay too long before being sawed (which has nothing to do with the above comments). Go over to www.woodnet.net and check out their forums. I'm sure that there's one there about drying. It's not difficult but you need to follow some basics from what I gather. Be sure to post back some pics of the wood's grain and anything that you build from it.
            Later,
            Chiz
            Later,
            Chiz

Comment

get it cut up in to the boards you want before it drys out or all you will have crack and splits in them,

If you have to store for some time before cutting it in to lumber it keep it wet. when cut then sticker it and weight it if possible while it drys, (weights on small stacks) will help keep it straighter, on the top boards,

Usually not used for lumber as the quantity is small and quality is hard to come by was it is a short and not a lumber tree, (long trunk),

Branches usually are not that great for lumber as they will have tension in them normally to the angles and the weight at which they grow. but in your situation go for it they will probably will be jsut short small lumber any way.

general rule: one year drying for inch of thickness, If you want it to go quicker, dry it on the ground floor for a few months and let it get the bulk dried out, then move it to a ventilated attic where the temperatures can be 30+ degrees hotter and finish it out there, if dried to fast it can cause problems as well. seal the ends with latex paint, (there is special sealers for sealing the ends, but latex paint is not bad), if not expect cracks and splits up to 6" in on the ends (may or may not happen some woods are worse than others, the end drys out first cracking the lumber).
              Last edited by BHD; 07-31-2007, 09:50 AM.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
              X