X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planer Purchase

Hello everyone - this is my first post to this site and any assistance is greatly appreciated. I am in the market for a planer. I have narrowed the search to the DeWalt 735 and the Ridgid 1300. I have found numerous reviews (usually very favorable) on the DeWalt. However, I have not been able to find the same volume of information on the Ridgid (however, the reviews that I have found are favorable). In my area, the price difference is about $100 (DeWalt being more expensive). I am not opposed to spending the extra $$ if the DeWalt is worth it. However, I don't want to throw money away when the Ridgid would suffice. Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

I have heard that the Dewalt is a good tool, but I have the 1300 and have been using it for over 2 years without a single problem.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I have the grey ridgid and have had not so much as a snipe with it. It was easy to assemble and works well.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Jason----I was shopping for a planer two years ago and the Ridgid was then, and likely still is, a very good unit. BUT---the reason I didn't buy it was that Delta came out with their two-speed model and I ended up getting a special for around the same price as the Ridgid. Now, DeWalt has two new models, both improvements on the Delta. The Ridgid (with the caveat concerning current parts availbility/CS) is very good, but it's old technology compared to the Delta or new DeWalts. And, yes, the two speeds DO make a big difference----DeWalt's multiple speeds and or their three knives perform a similar function.
        Dave

Comment

I have the dewalt three blade planer, it been super for me, use it alot, handels oak, walnut, poplar and more with out a wimper, smooth as glass, no snipe, plus the depth stop is handy also, had a year now and am on my second set of blades. [img]smile.gif[/img] Life is good=just like a good day in the shop!

Comment

When I bought my planer I shopped around a lot. I found an an artical in the April 2001 Popular Woodworking magazine that compaired The Craftsman 21713, the Delta 22-540, the Delta 22-560 the Dewalt DW 733, the Grizzly G1017, The Grizzly G8794, The Jet JWP14-4P, The Mikita 2012NB and the Ridgid TP1300.
            They rated the Delat22-560 as "Best Value" They rated the DeWalt Dw733 and the Rigid TP1300 as "Editor's Choice". I bought the Ridgid TP1300 about a year after I bought it I began having problems with it feeding the lumber through, then finally it quit feeding lumber at all. I took it to Rigid's (Outsorced service shop) I haven't got my Planer back yet, with no help from Rigid or Home Depot-- I would not recommend the Ridgid at all

Comment

Ted,

when you say problem feeding lumber, what do you mean? Was it just not taking the wood?

Jim

Comment

The Problem turned out to be the little gear box the transfers power to the rollers was bad. It started out nor feeding once in a while then it started not feeding when it was used for a few minutes, then it quit feeding at all. The guy from the repair shop said He had replaced a number of these gear boxes

Comment

Working...
                X