X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Fence TS3650

After setting up my fence rails, I ran into a slight but irritating problem with the fence. It squeals when you run it back and forth. Rails are tight to the table with no gaps. Didn't need any shims. Fence is not tight on the rails with the lock lever up. Do the pads that run along the rails need lubrication? If so, what?

Re: Noisy Fence TS3650

Hi, Ttar! Welcome to the forums.

There will probably be some better ideas to come along...I have limited advice! I'd suggest using Johnson's paste wax on the rails. That's what I did and mine slides real easy and noiselessly! Use Johnson's as it doesn't have any silicone in it. Silicone will leach into the wood you slide over the rails that will come out like fish-eyes when you stain it. You can find Johnson's at grocery stores and at some hardware stores. I think Ace and Tru Value both carry it. I'm sure Wal-Mart would have it, too. It's a great lubricant and protectant for the cast iron TS top, too.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Ditto Sandy!
      Later,
      Chiz

Comment

In your Owners Manual you'll find the procedure to setup the proper height the fence should be above the table. It really sounds to me like the fence is too close to the table top and needs to be raised up a little.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I agree with Dave. I wax my rails but that is not the cure. The fence should glide smoothly even w/o waxing the rails and should be silent. You said no shims on the spacer rod, I think most use at least one shim washer. Double check to be sure your front and rear rails are parallel, else you could have sections where the fence locks down tight and others where it does not.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I rechecked the rails and they were good. I had already used the 8-page shims procedure. In the end, the Johnson's paste wax did the trick. The fence slides smoothly and silently with just the push of a finger. Thanks again.

Comment

I have the 3660 and I discovered the awful squeal was caused by the micro adj. wheel

Comment

Originally posted by cutnail View Post
                I have the 3660 and I discovered the awful squeal was caused by the micro adj. wheel
                A TS3650 has a micro adj. wheel? Mine does not.

Comment

Originally posted by John Gray View Post
                  A TS3650 has a micro adj. wheel? Mine does not.
                  It should if you are using the OEM fence & rails. It's located just to the right and down from the lock down bar on the fence.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
                  X