X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small round table finished

I wanted to build a small practice project to try a few things I had never tried. The following is the result (from walnut and maple). The top is two pieces of 1/4" (or 3/16"?) walnut plywood laminated on top and bottom of a 3/8" core. The edging is bent laminated walnut and maple. Leg joints are dovetail. Several things I did here were my first try: first project involving turning (other than a few scrap pieces for practice that I had done), first try at bent lamination, first dovetail joints, curved routing. I think I am getting ready for the next big project.
    Attachment Attachment
    Attachment Attachment
    Attachment
    Attached Files

Re: Small round table finished

Very impressive!

I love the detail and the maple trim is really a terrific touch, very nice design details.

Now, if only I could achieve even a fraction of your craftsmanship I'd be delighted.

Thanks for showing this fine work,

CWS

Comment

Very nice work, Mreza! The proportions look perfect for a period (Queen Ann?) piece. I love the details on the feet, too. The curves are so well done, then they end at little claws. Very nice attention to detail. The maple/walnut lamination is really well done.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Looks great! Very nice job. I like the edge banding with the walnut and maple, nice touch and a little different which sets this piece off from the norm.

I think you are ready....go for it.

What's next? A tiger maple high boy??

[Norm said that is the toughest project he has done in the 19 years of NYW]
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Beautiful job mreza

Very elegant Nice proportions
          Cheers! - Jim
          -------------
          All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Thanks all for the nice words.

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            I think you are ready....go for it.

What's next? A tiger maple high boy??
            I think I neither have the skills nor the time to build such a thing.
            My next big project (which has long been on my wife's list) is a bed.
            I'll post pictures of that once I build it; but will be months from now

Comment

Very nice workmanship for sure

Comment

That indeed is a nice piece!

Being a full time cabinet maker, I consider myself pretty accomplished in what I do, but I do miss the time and energy at doing different things like your table. Most of my jobs are just lots of boxes. Cabinets are just boxes next to more boxes. Drawers are just smaller boxes on rollers! LOL Sometimes I get a customer that wants something out of the ordinary and it's a blast to do something different but those are far and few inbetween.

Don't sell yourself short on taking on more challanging projects. I think most people can do a lot more than they give themselves credit for!

Mark
                Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Very nice.
                  -Daryle

===================================

Comment

Working...
                  X