X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbers to cut out with scroll saw

I am trying to find a free site that would have numbers 0 thru 9. I need these to cut out for R/V sites. Please help Thanks Tommy

Re: Numbers to cut out with scroll saw

Start MS Word or Wordpad or just about any word processing program.
    Select the font you want to use.
    Set the font size to as large as will fit on a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, this will probably be about 96 point or maybe larger.
    Print out the letter then use it as your scroll pattern.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I am looking for larger numbers about 3 inches.

Comment

I know you said free, but why not just purchase numbers 0-9 and trace on a piece of stock and cut out one of each, then you have a pattern you could use.

Regards,

Comment

Try going to a place that sells supplies for commercial art and drafting. They should have plastic guides where you take a pencil and draw around letters and numbers. Ask at places that paint letters on trucks and signs. They should be able to tell you what to get and where.

I like Biscuit's idea and have done just that before. Check at JoAnn's Crafts and Fabric stores. I have seen what you want there in the past.

Comment

I just looked at MS Word, and I admit I'm not that familiar with the program, but it seems limited.

However, if you have a graphics program of anykind, you can produce larger numbers. I use Corel Draw, so I have very little limitations.

If you know the type style/font that you wish to use, I can even send you the numbers that you want in a PDF file. (Of course, that depends on if I have the font... but I do have a couple of hundred.) I can produce a number up to the maximum of your printed page. So for an 8.5 x 11, that would be about 10 inches high... printed one number per page. If you have larger capabilities, I can fit to almost any size printer.

I generally just make the outline of the letter, so as not to completely empty your ink cartridge.

You may send me a private message, if you would like me to do that.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

With Word (or nearly any word processor) and an ink jet or laser printer you should be able to print letters up to the size that will fill a sheet of paper. There are many different fonts available within Word or free off the internet. Choose one, set the font size to 216 points for 3" high letters (there are 72 points per inch).

Using a word processor to print out the templates is probably the cheapest and most flexible method available.
              Dick

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Turner View Post
                I am trying to find a free site that would have numbers 0 thru 9. I need these to cut out for R/V sites. Please help Thanks Tommy
                If you know anyone in the sign business, they will be able to print and cut letters for you of most any size and font, (style) on a verity of stock in just a matter of minutes and probably will not cost very much.

Comment

I have WordPerfect X3 here and have a few special fonts that print out stencil style letters. The problem is getting those fonts. As for inkjet printers, peeee uooooo. I'll keep my trusty laser printer anytime over an inkjet other than for color work.

Rather than going wild over software programs, just look around places that are into crafts and such. You should be able to find plastic guides for doing this type of lettering. I'll try to post links so you can get the idea of what I have in mind.

Jim H, has a good idea about asking around sign shops.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Turner View Post
                    I am looking for larger numbers about 3 inches.
                    Just adjust the font size until you get your 3 inches, it so simple a caveman could do it. Time New Roman at 300 should be close to 3". If you don't see the ruler on the left margin then go into options and turn it on. HEre's a quick scaling trick: Adjust the ZOOM size of the document on your screen so that it approximates the real world size of a sheet of paper. You most likely won't be able to see the full length, but the 8.5" width should be possible. The ZOOM size might be less than 100% or maybe a little more, but whatever it is you can just hold a sheet of paper up to the screen and when the width of the two match you'll be darn close to seeing your text on the screen in the same size that it will print w/o wasting a sheet of paper or any ink.

PS: You're don't have any cavemen in your family tree do you.

In MS-Word create your text, make one letter per page if you need to. Now go back and select your text. Go up to the menu bar and click on Format and then Font. In the center of the dialog that pops up look in the Effects section, click the checkbox for Outline, in the preview pane you should now see only the outline of the letter. Click OK to accept the change and go back to the editing window.

You want free? Then you have to be willing to do a little extra work. You want a piece of software that will carve the letters out for you then you'll need a couple thousand to get started, I can buy a lot of toner and paper for that money.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 08-07-2007, 05:30 PM.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Ya know, I started reading through what promised to be an uninteresting thread but I was soon overwhelmed with the thoughtfullness of so many who offered not only advice and instructions but copies of the needed letters. This is a pretty good bunch of people here and I don't mind putting my arm out of joint to pat (us) all on the back!!
                      Blessings to all,
                      Chiz
                      Later,
                      Chiz

Comment

Working...
                      X