X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the BS1400 still a 'no buy'?

I've ben looking at the Sears 12" for just a bit less money. Was wondering if the BS1400 still has vibration and other issues mentioned on the forum and in the reviews at the HD site.
    Last edited by Hooligan; 08-06-2007, 07:02 PM.
    You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Re: Is the BS1400 still a 'no buy'?

I bought the sears 12" band saw about two months ago. I have used it a
    lot, I like it as much as my TS 3650. It sets up quickly, runs extremly smooth, soft start, I work mostly with plastics and soft wood, I haven't used it to re saw, but I have ripped a lot of plywood with it with excellent re-
    sults. I have had no problems with this saw, it is extremly ridgid, and stable.
    Sears now has a good variety of blades, and the bearings haven't presented no problems for me. It was difficult to get the fence//, but after an hour or so I got it right. I believe the woodworkers Journal has some good articals on
    band saws and they have reviewed the ridgid bandsaw as well as the craftsman 14" . I am a novice, and your demands might be more stingent
    than mine, but the TS3650 and sears 12 inch BS are a lot of bang for the
    buck. Read the artical in the woodworkers Journal. As you can see I'm a
    little prejudiced. Bob

Comment

As Bob said the current issue of WWJ has a review of 10 14" bandsaws, the RIDGID finished about dead last IIRC. Look at the Craftsman 14" or the 12" if money is an issue and you will not need the additional capacity in the near future. The Delta, Steel City and Griz all performed well according to their test.

I had a Craftsman 12" BS for many years (1984), it was OK and got the job done. I did many mods and tweaks to get it to perform decently. This past Christmas the LOML gave me money toward a new BS. I picked up the Rikon 14" Deluxe model and while it is almost twice the price of a RIDGID it is at least twice the tool if not more. With the Rikon I have resawed up to 8" wide oak and ash boards so far and it does not balk one bit. Dust collection is very good and overall the tool is great. It scored a Best Buy in the recent WWJ test and in another test earlier this year by another mag, I think it was FWW but not sure.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm retired but there are more demands on my time now than when I was working full time.

Originally posted by bob405 View Post
        I am a novice, and your demands might be more stingent than mine, but the TS3650 and sears 12 inch BS are a lot of bang for the buck. Bob
        Yea, I'm pre-novice and a bit compulsive/obsessive. I want to build an aux fence for both the miter gauge and the rip fence. All the examples here and in the books are more like furniture grade than shop grade. Everything calls for 'a straight' piece of 1x3 or something. Meaning you really need a jointer 'cause I can't find a straight piece of wood. And then of course a router. But I'm getting there; I cut a 24" piece of melamine and attached it to the Incra V27. It works but...

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        Look at the Craftsman 14" or the 12" if money is an issue and you will not need the additional capacity in the near future. The Delta, Steel City and Griz all performed well according to their test.

Sorry to say money is an issue and right now I'm only working with dimensional lumber. If I can figure a way to spend more time in front of the WW tools that would help more than a class or two higher grade of machine.

The only mag I've subscribed to thus far is ShopNotes. I got scammed on ebay for American Woodworker. Is the WWJ one I should consider.

Comment

Hooligan, as far as I know, Ridgid hasn't done anything to improve or update the BS since it's introduction. It's hopeful that they have figured out the balance issues with the wheels, but it still seems like a crap-shoot from what I've read lately. Some stores will have new ones to get you that may well be of a higher quality than the older ones.

I guess I'm lucky in that mine is *ok* as far as balance goes. I haven't really gone into a detailed tune-up procedure on mine yet. I did replace the drive belt with a link belt and that has been a HUGE improvement.

I will say the the saw has been used to resaw maple so far and has proven to be pretty good at that with the right blade. It's fine for doing some things...but I'm in the market some time soon to replace it with the Rikon. The Rikon is kinda pricey, but I feel it's more than 2x the value of the Ridgid.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy said it well. Without seeing and trying out a brand new (new meaning made in 2007) Ridgid bandsaw, it would be hard to tell what you might end up with. I wonder if someone with big $$$ and helpers actually got 100 samples, how many would be seriously defective. It may well be that only say 1% of them are messed up and they are the ones we read about on here. On the other hand, I think if I wanted a bandsaw that I would look long and hard at a good used one or save up and buy a real nice new one. I have used (in the past) a good Delta that today would sell for about $1000 and it was a very nice hard working machine. I'm sure that say $500 could buy one much better than the Ridgid. I have also seen some pretty sad Delta imported models around. I have seen and read good things on some of the Rikon models, but personally I would rather go with a tried and proven model if I could. I guess I think about long term investments when it comes to machines. When I finally get a table saw it will be most likely a good used one that I will really look over and check, but it will be a cabinet model and either a good Delta Unisaw or an older USA built Powermatic 66. Both are tried and proven machines that I can get parts for. If you do buy a BS1400, before you start to assemble it, carefully (take lots of time) check each part. If they seem bad or poorly made, return it ASAP and demand a refund. Then move on to something else. You might get lucky if you can find a serious woodworker that's selling out like an estate sale or is moving. This takes some luck, but it can be done.

OK I'm spoiled in that I know what serious REAL machinery is like. I personally would not be happy with less and in my case would rather not have a given type of machine than to have a poorly made junker. That's me. What works for someone else may well be totally different. I would rather save up, spend good money on a 25 year machine than to buy cheap and always hate the machine for what it's not.

PS: Woussko really needs to shut the *** up until fall.

Comment

Thanks Woussko

I missed a Jet 14" on craigslist for $250.

To bad about the Ridgid - it's priced right

Comment

Whenever someone asks me about the Ridgid BS at work (part time Orange Apron) I always direct them to search this sight. I cant tell customers the opinions Ive gotten here, but if they were to research them on their own. My store doesnt sell too many of them, so even being p/t I would know if one came back though, and I havent seen any come back

Comment

I'll post this here and see if I get a reply.....

I was going to buy the Ridgid BS, but after reading many reviews decided against it. Today I bought the Grizzly 14" G0555 off of Craigslist for $300 including the 6' extension riser block. Its in virtualy new condition. The guy bought it from one of the large woodworking stores used (but very lightly used) and never used it. In fact, it does not even have a plug on it. So I hope it worksm talk about trust!

The only thing it does not have is the fence. It has the slider rail, but not the fence. Can someone recomend a fence? Or can I onlu use grizzly fences?

On a related note, he had a 15" 230V Jet planer (looked very industrial and heavy, blue in color with rollers on top) and Delta dust collector, both looked in wonderful condition. He was aksing $600 for both. This is quite a way out of my budget, but it seems like a great deal vs almost $400 (inc tax) for the Ridgid planer I was going to get at some point.

Comment

Dunno much about the BS1400 other than what I've seen and read, but can heartily recommend the Craftsman 12" 22400 made by Rikon. The 14" is even more saw. They both offer large cast iron tables, good resaw (7" and 8" respectively), decent power, a fence, a worklight, and are well built. Watch the sale prices, as they can dip quite a bit.

Comment

The Kreg bandsaw fence is darn skippy. You can also get a couple of accessories to increase it's functional and precision capabilities.

Choose your vendor... Woodpecker site has the best overview, description, and photos of what you're getting.
                      Might consider holding out for a Rockler online coupon, or a Woodcraft coupon in the mail if you have one close-by.

http://www.woodpeck.com/kregbandsawfence.html

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...aw%20fence

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5244

Comment

Unfortunately, I may have to answer yes to this question. I was just finishing up putting my new one together tonight and VVvvibration is the word. I am somewhat annoyed with this; bacause I have been reading about this problem for months and I would have though that Ridgid would fix the problem.

Comment

If people would stop buying hte thing maybe they would get the hint and drop it llike they did with the lathe. Either that or out it back on the development table and make it right even if the price has to go up a few dollars. I'd rather be known for selling a misd-priced 14" BS that performed well than a low-end POS that everyone complains about.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I'd take Was' advice and try to buy a real heavy old one. I've had my 1400 for about 8 years and wish I had an old Jet. This is just not a very good machine sorry to say, its the only one of my Rigid stable I'd like a do-over on...

Comment

Briefly, just before Christmas Rockler knocked down the BS fence/ table to $99. I should have bought it, it looks dandy.
                              Last edited by weatherjeff; 02-04-2008, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X