No announcement yet.

help in getting started

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help in getting started

hey everybody- got a question. After doing a few projects, i've become interested in woodworking as a hobby, but am unsure where a good starting point would be. If anyone could recommend some books for a novice or a place online to look up projects, i'd greatly appreciate it. Also, any sort of tools i might need to start would also be a help. i own a pretty big collection of hand tools, and a few power tools, but any hints would be well received

I would suggest expanding your knowledge by whatever means possible, most local libraries contain a wealth of information (tapes and books), subscribe to some of the numerous woodworking magazines (most are around $22 for a seven issue-one year subscription) and the internet is chock-full of info, albeit some may be biased. The tools you already possess should dictate what projects you should start with. Less demanding projects that can be completed in a week by: cutting, shaping, sanding and assembly during the weekend and then applying finish during the week after work proved to be rewarding for me. Shop jigs are another excellent place to start. Also, if you have access to scrap lumber, don’t hesitate to experiment when you acquire a new tool, try to use several of the features of it in an attempt to become familiar and comfortable with it. Apologize for the rambling.

Check the local Colleges for continuing education courses. One of ours offers a woodworking course which is perfect for someone wanting to get started.

Another nice thing about taking a course at a local college is you get to use some tools that you don't own, such as a table saw, drill press, bandsaw. You can see what features matter to you or don't matter, then you can make a better decision when purchasing your own. Once you use a real nice cabinet table saw you will not want anything else. I could not afford a cabinet saw so I bought a ridgid 3612, even that was a stretch of my wallet, but I like it and it is probably the best you can get for the money. Also decide what add ons you want on your tools, sometimes the cost of the add ons will get you a better tool with those add ons built in.

I agree with all the above. I get most of my plans for free from Woodworking magazines on collection at Library. I found out that the plans I was buying online from websites for 5 - 15 dollars were directly from the past issues of magazine which I now get for free. lol. SCAM huh.

If you' find a topic you are interested, cabinetry, tuning tools, etc. I HIGHLY recommend videos over books. SO much easier to learn from a video what you are doing wrong if your results don't match.

I agree with classes, I have not taken any but would like to. Right now I'm in school toward CPA, no time for another class.

Finally, in chicago we have many woodworking clubs. They have library of WW books, videos, and old magazines available to members for free. We also get discounts on tools at local retailers which cover the price of membership.

Good Luck

There is a Woodcraft in Palatine and a Rockler in Schaumburg. You probably can take some classes at the Woodcraft and I think the Rockler. Hope this is some help. Dave

Subscribe to the "Family Handy Man" magazine, it will give some projects to work on and great advice for tools.

The secret to life.....honest !!

Find something you love to do........
                then, find a way to get paid to do it !!!

moral.....pick some aspect of woodworking that you really love, Cabinets, furniture, turnings, toys, Intarsia, woodburnin,pattern makin, whatever.........then jump on in !!!!
                You will learn as you go.
                Some of us still don't know how to read
                <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\"></a><br /><br />I can fix anything......where\'s the duct tape ?? :-)

vlad, I suggest that you look around your house and see what you would like to own, or needs replacing, but can't afford to buy. If you find a piece of furniture that fits into this catagory, get any brochure that sells this piece. They all give the dimensions that you will need. Then sit down with pen and paper for a couple of hours and make your own plan. I like to make a cut sheet that tells me the dimensions for every piece of wood.

As for the tools that you may need, I think everyone in here will tell you that you should have a table saw, the most important machine in every shop. How detailed you want your projects to be will determine the rest of the tools that you will need.

I hope that this helps.