Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upholstery and staples question

I now have two size staplers.
    A 1/2" 20 gauge and a 1/4" 18 gauge

Which size stapler do you experienced upholsterers use?

I will be redoing the padding arms of a water bed. The frame is cheap! particle board, then 1/4" foam wrapped around and finally some new virgin naugahyde.

I will use 3/8" or 1/2" long staples.

Cactus Man

Re: Upholstery and staples question

All the staplers I've seen specifically designated as upholstery staplers use 3/8 22 ga staples.

Comment

Cactus man: I do a lot of upholstery work on pontoons etc. I use a Porter Cable upholstery staple gun and 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch staples. Got them all (gun and staples) from Amazon. Works great.

Jim

Comment

Well, I started to reupholster the water bed rails. I am using virgin Naugahyde.
        I really wanted to use my ridgid 1/4" crown stapler..so I decided to go with 1/2" long staples. I set the stapler to the minimum depth setting...

The good news and bad bad news......

The Ridgid stapler is wonderful. But using 1/4" crown staples are too narrow and may/will tear the material. I even doubled up the Naugahyde and in a few spots I tore through. I know from past experience using the 1/2" 20ga Craftsman stapler is the wiser choice; but the Ridgid is a cool stapler!

A limitation of the Ridgid stapler in this project was trying to staple some tight spots. The nose would not engage and I could not fire a staple..Oh well, a few carpet tacks will get those tight spots.

Oh, as a side bar, I did use the Ridgid stapler to secure a backing of hardboard to a small box I built..The stapler performed perfectly and never a jam!

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
        X