X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glue Applicators...

Concerning glue applicators, we are constantly breaking the plastic tips that come on the Titebond plastic bottles of glue. The tips are weak plastic and dry inside the applicator tip forcing one to pull hard to get it open.

What do you guys who do a lot of glueing use? I've found nothing at Lowes and Hope Depot (Home Depot).

Thanks in advance for your time.

Re: Glue Applicators...

Rockler and Woodcraft have an assortment of different applicator tips/bottles you can purchase.

On the other hand, I have never had one break, and I have gone through a lot of bottles of glue in my days.???

Regards,

Comment

Just received an email from Titebond. They are sending extra caps/lids.

They seem to be aware of the problem with their weak plastic applicators.

Comment

Personally, I've never had any issues with the tips one the Titebond bottles. Because I always have a damp rag handy anyways to cleanup any squeeze out I might get when gluing up a project, I just use it to clean the tip off after I've dispensed the glue.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I've never had the problem. I usually just wipe off the tip and also squeeze the bottle in a manner that it suck most to the glue in the spout back into the bottle.

Sometimes the tip cap is a little stubborn; but I haven't broke one yet attempting to get it off.

CWS

Comment

I have sometimes left the caps up and forgot about them resulting in a plugged cap. I came accross these applicators from Lamelo and ordered two. They are great because they store tip down in a small reservoir of water with a tiny sponge inside. They are not expensive, but not cheap either. They are more suited to the shop rather than a job site. They hold about 12oz. of glue.

Ern

http://www.amazon.com/Lamello-175550...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Comment

The problem I am experiencing is most likely my fault. I need do put those caps in water and close the bottle with another sealing cap.

The small plastic plug inside the Titebond cap is the problem. It gets glued to the inside of the cap. Here in the dry country, it doesn't take long for glue to set up.

The Lamello glue system looks interesting.

Comment

I haven't experienced the problem either. I clean my tip like the other guys, but then when I store it I squeeze all the air out until just before the glue fills the tip. When I'm actively using the it and its time to spread the glue, I stand it upside down to keep the glue in the tip wet.

I really like that Lamello setup... I might adopt their sponge idea. That's really cool.

Comment

Personally I use the "GluBot". We use 3 different types of glue, bought in bulk 5gal, at the cabinet shop where I work. I have a GluBot for each. They work very well. They put out a very dependable consistant amount and since they are essentially pressure fed from the bottom you never have to wait for the glue to flow like you do with a regular bottle when it gets nearly empty. You can dispense glue to a vertical surface too. Since it sucks back when you stop squeezing, there are no drips either.It's a lot cheaper than the Lamello too....

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=10553
                  Last edited by LONGHAIR; 08-12-2007, 11:30 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

Well...we've figured it out. The caps on Titebond glue have a plastic piece inside. It functions as the stopper (seals off the hole) in the cap. It usually gets glued to the inside of the cap and becomes a problem, usually breaking off.

So...we now cut off that internal piece, removing it from the inside of the cap, and use it to plug the cap from outside the cap.

Been working great for the past week.

Simple fix for us.

Comment

Guess what will happen the first time one of you forgets to plug the cap from the outside?
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I store my bottle upside down to keep air out of the bottle
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'll try the upside down approach. That, too, makes sense.

Comment

I've seen metal bottle applicator tips in some of the magazines. Need to find one too. I tear mine up fairly quickly running it up and down boards all day. I use the caps for chewing! LOL (like to chew on plastic!)

Mark
                            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Never hade that problem, but have had to cut the top of the bottle with a knife due to glue build up.

Comment

Working...
                              X