X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molding Profile

Can anybody help me find a router bit that I can make this profile with or give me any recommendation on how I could make it? I am adding a light molding to my kitchen cabinets and all the suppliers want at least $5.00 per foot for this molding.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Molding Profile

mcmullen99,
    Could you try posting the pic again? I can't open a paintshop pro XI file (I didn't even know there was an XI-I'm still on 6 or something).
    Jack
    p.s. it may just be me being mentally challenged!
    Last edited by res057; 08-09-2007, 11:37 AM.
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

To make that with a router, you will need a router table and at least 4 set-ups (passes through the cutter) and different cutters.

You will just need to be creative and find individual bits for the profiles and do one part at a time.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
        mcmullen99,
        Could you try posting the pic again? I can't open a paintshop pro XI file (I didn't even know there was an XI-I'm still on 6 or something).
        Jack
        p.s. it may just be me being mentally challenged!
        I was right. Me be mentally challenged at times.

I think biscuit is right. Depending on how much you have to do, you might be better off money-wise to purchase it vs. buying specific bits. A milling shop may also be able to help.
        ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

I'd actually do it in several steps. Also, use 2 separate pieces. One the vertical piece, and a second the horizontal. Biscuit them together once the profiles have been done.

The picture gives most of the information you need for the profiles. It's a tricky piece to make, and you will have to have a router table to do the work. Also, you'll need some fairly pricey bits. Get GOOD bits (Whiteside is one manufacturer I'd trust for this type of bit) since the work is tricky, and requires a lot of material to be removed at each step. Do each step in several passes to minimize burn on the wood. If you're not proficient with routers, it'd be recommended to either take some classes or purchase the pieces already made. You might find 2 different pieces that are molded the way you want. These you can simply biscuit/glue together to make the rail you're after.

Keep us updated with your progress. Personally, with something this complex, I'd end up purchasing it as I'm not good enough with a router to feel safe doing all the work necessary to make the profile.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I think if you are willing to go with a flat profile between the two beads (instead of the convex), it could be done. You will need a router table and a table saw with a good dado set.

I would start with a blank 3 1/2" by 2 1/4" . Mill the profile on both sides of the blank.
            Use a core box bit to cut the top. Then use a beading or bull nose bit to mill the beads. Use the table saw to remove the waste between the beads and hollow the center.
            Then turn upside down and cut in half and you have two moldings.

Cutting the center dado and the core box will take multiple passes.

The hardest part will be the sanding, especially if you are staining.
            If you are painting I would use poplar. If you're staining, I hope it isn't cherry.

Comment

I doubt if that profile was cut with a router. I think a shaper or moulding/milling machine was probably used because of the size of the profile. I don't now how many feet you need, but I think I'd pay for it or find an alternative.

Just my $.02.

Bob R

Comment

Working...
              X