Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD "Sand Ply"

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

While purchasing some birch plywood some time back, I mistakenly picked up a couple of sheets of HD's "Sand Ply". It's been gracefully aging in my sheet rack for some time albeit a bit dusty.

Is anyone familiar with this plywood? Will it work and stain the same as other hardwood plywood? Should I primarily use it for shop projects or can it be used something nicer?

Your experiences and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

S.
    "It's always something...That's how they getcha'..."

Re: HD "Sand Ply"

I've never had much luck with it when it comes to staining it. I've used it when I've made some bird houses that I painted and it was OK for that kind of finish. I've also used it for some shop jigs and shelving.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks Badger Dave!

There are a couple of shop projects out of Shop Notes magazine that I've been looking at...they require laminate and I'll set the plywood aside for those.

Much appreciation for your insight.

Comment

I just used it for a paint grade built in. It dents easily, found some places with filler blatantly showing and a bad job at that. The stuff I bought wasnt from HD but a local supplier, last night I noticed it said sandply as a stamp I was thinking maybe its another name for appleply?
        Also when you sand it be careful very thin, I believe its a 9 ply. Also I edgebanded and had to be careful when using the cutter it would rake the sides an take ply right off. I wont be using again anytime soon except for shop jobs, the stuff I had was also very light, maybe 20lbs less than reg ply, had a light yellow color to it.

Comment

Ditto on the softness, many voids, poor staining and easy splintering. I won't be using it for anything again - not even jigs.
          Later,
          Chiz

Comment

Thanks Guys for your responses. I have two 4x8 sheets of the sandply and a receipt that's long gone.

Shop Notes put out a nice drill press table, an issue or so back, and I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know my experiences with the plywood.

I also did a little research on the net after posting my question and see that "sand ply" question has come up on other boards. The responses are all in line with your experiences...

Once again, thanks again for your responses!

Comment

The surface veneer is soft and fuzzy. However, I made some tool stands out of it, and it has worked out fine for that.
              Joe Spear

Comment

I don't know what "sandply" is but on my last trip to HD, I spotted a bunk of "cabinet grade plywood". It was marked at about 25 bucks a sheet. It was warped, twisted every which way and not fit for a dog house. Just a big pile of junk. It looks like the 13 ply Chinese Birch I saw at my supplier, again, another pile of warped junk.
                Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

And, another 'ditto' to The Wood Meister about warped 13 ply. I went to my hardwood supplier and asked for 3/4" Baltic Birch. They brought out the 5'X5' sheet and loaded it without my help. When I got it home I found it to be wavy. I called him and he said that it sometimes temporarily takes on that apperance because the stack is sitting on stickers to keep if from drawing damp. I suggested that he use pallets but that fell on deaf ears. The end story is that it never recovered from that wavy condition so, no matter where you buy be cautious. There is one yard that sells *exclusively* to cabinet shops and is a closed shop operation - no sales to the general public. The nerve - LOL!
                  Later,
                  Chiz

Comment

I've had good luck with Sande Ply. I'm working on kitchen cabinets for my new home, and for the most part, it's been very good material. The best thing about it is that it's not made in China, but in Ecuador. I've noticed very few voids in the plys (the only ply I've seen with fewer is Baltic Birch), and from the 20 or so sheets I've milled thus far, only 2 or 3 had surface imperfections, most of which I could work around.

It does, however, dent rather easily, and it's a bit stringy when dadoing with a router bit (much like poplar).

Comment

Working...
                    X