X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lid Supports

I just finished building a toybox for the kids, and have some questions about installing a lid support so little fingers don't get smashed.

I bought a stanley lid support at the local hardware store
    http://www.stanleyhardware.com/defau...ty+Lid+Support

But I cannot figure out how this is supposed to work. It seems to pivot closed no matter where the lid is, and I can't figure out how to "lock" it so that the lid stays up.

Also, my wife brought up the fact that we might want to get some sore of "soft close" lid support, so that the kids wouldn't have to actually lift the lid all the way to lock it in place for safety. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for a soft-close lid support?

Re: Lid Supports

Hi M,

That Stanley comes in right, left and center. The heavier the lid, the more of them you need. I used them on a blanket chest with a solid cherry top (27x42) and it took all three to make it safe. You can also buy adjustable friction closers and about 40 other varieties. Check out Lee Valley, Woodcraft or Rockler for more ideas.

Comment

I used these from Rockler. They have Left, Right and Center. I used left and right for a2'x3' toy box lid. The lid will stay open even if it's only opened two inches. Very Safe!
      It will stay positioned at whatever point it is opened to.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=410&filter=toy%20box

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Here's what I don't understand about the Stanley. I bought the right-hand support. At the spot on the support where you screw it to the side of the toybox there is a pivot point. How does it keep the lid open when there is nothing stopping the support from pivoting at that spot? I just don't understand how it's supposed to work.

My lid is 20" x 48" of 3/4" oak plywood. I assume I would need more than one of these to properly support the lid (assuming I can figure out how they work).

I hope this makes sense.

Comment

I think what might be happening is the spring tension on this Stanley product is too high for what I need. The top pivot point which puts the pressure on the spring takes quite a bit of force to compress the spring.

It doesn't move at all when the lid closes, so maybe I need a different model? The problem is the Stanley has no inch/lb rating so I have no idea what to get.

Comment

I think I see what's going on now. I reinstalled at a different spot and I now see how it's supposed to work. I will need to add a second one on the left side and see how that goes.

Comment

Working...
            X