X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table/Miter Blades...

Is it okay to use the blade that came with my 3612 in my Ridgid 10" Miter saw?

Thanks,
    Michael

In a word no. The miter blade has a negative hook angle. The tablesaw blade has a positive hook angle.
    Andy B.

Comment

It's worth a shot, the cut may chip out a little if it is high positive hook. Positive hook angle blade on a miter saw isn't the big deal it is on a radial arm saw (for that matter, it isn't as much a big deal there either, in my experience).

For an example of hook angles, DeWalt Series 60 fine crosscut blades are either +10 or -5 degrees. CMTs fine crosscut is +5. Amana makes them from at least +10 to at least -6. Leitz, the same. In other words, they all are available both ways.

A negative hook blade is harder to feed, but will chip out a little less. If you buy a blade listed for melamine cutting, it will be negative hook because chipout is a big problem.

Feed slow and steady. Let everyone know how it works. I would try it myself, but my mitersaw is 12".

Dave

Comment

It's just for rough cutting some boards into shorter boards that will then be jointed and planed to make wider boards. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Is chip-out my only worry of will it toss it on me?

Michael

Comment

will it toss it on me?

No more than any other blade. Miter saws, used correctly, have almost no way to toss the stock, because the blade comes down on the top.

Two "incorrect" uses that come to mind are cutting stock that is taller than wide, and stock that is round. Both uses can be done, but they do take a little more preparation.

I wouldn't hesitate to use that blade in a miter saw, given the purpose you state. Usual care is all that's required.

[edit]I'd like to add that this is specifically not referring to a sliding miter saw. I would at least test carefully with one of those.

Dave

[ 12-24-2002, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Dave Arbuckle ]

Comment

Thanks for the info Dave.

It's not a sliding miter saw. I just want a convenient way to cut boards to a more manageable width without dragging out the circular saw.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Michael

Comment

Maybe a stupid question, but what happened to the blade that came with the miter saw?

I also bought the 12" Ridgid saw. It is a bit difficult to find alternate blades for it (when building my deck using a composite material, I needed a blade with fewer teeth, but the arbor size was hard to match), so I don't have such choices. I use the miter saw just as you described, for rough cuts down to size. Any detail miter or precision cuts I make using the table saw.

Comment

Jerry,

I'm surprised you were having very much trouble finding a blade to fit the MS1250. A 1" arbor is pretty much standard for a 12" blade. I would check around some more, you should be able to find 12" blades with a 1" arbor without much trouble.

Jake

Comment

Jerry,

Not a stupid question, but I loaned my miter saw to my sister/husband and it came back with a different blade. Looks like a plywood blade. I haven't got back to them to see where the old blade was. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Michael

Comment

The 12" Ridgid actually uses a 1" bore blade? Geez, where were you guys when I got my DeWalt?

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X