X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid TS3650 or Delta 36-979 + Biesemeyer fence

Although, I've followed the forum off and on several times, I've never registered and posted.

Here's my dilemma - I, like others, am trying to buy a decent tablesaw on a budget.

Question: Aside from their fences, which is the better table saw Delta 36-979 (without fence) or TS3650? I've read several threads and am having a hard time figuring this one out.

Other than making sure the quality is there, some of my concerns include easy removal and replacement of splitter, company customer service, and warranty. I want to make the best choice for the money.

Pricing options I have available:

I can get the Ridgid TS3650 for $494

-or-

For $550 I can get new:

Delta 36-979 left tilt 10" contractors saw $350
    + 30" Biesemeyer Fence rails, and extension table with legs $200

-or-

I've also considered buying the Ridgid TS3650, adding the Biesemeyer fence setup and selling the fence from the Ridgid, although I'm not sure if there is a market for selling the fence.

Your sage advice is sought Thanks.

Re: Ridgid TS3650 or Delta 36-979 + Biesemeyer fence

Bought the Ridgid about 8 months ago and couldn't be happier. The fence on the Ridgid is very accurate and see no reason to change out for the Bessy.

Comment

What kind of price can you get on a Delta 36-982? It's as best as I can tell a 36-979 but includes table board and a commercial Biesemeyer fence. If you do go with a Delta and a B fence be sure it is the commercial grade one. The home use B fence isn't bad, but there is a difference.

As to the Ridgid TS-3650, I've read and heard many things about it. I do think you'll most likely get better customer service from Delta and especially if you buy it from a good woodworking machinery dealer and not a big box store or mail order dealer.

Have you also looked at Grizley, Jet and other brands too? Do you plan to leave it in one place or would a lift and wheel base help you enough to have one?

If money is tight you really don't have to get a Bies fence.

Here are a few that you may want to check out if you haven't done so.

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/50175185a.html

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/Shop/ind...=6056005&vid=0

http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=530000
      Last edited by Woussko; 08-21-2007, 12:10 AM.

Comment

I can get the 36-982 package deal for $550.

My post just listed the components separately - sorry.

thanks.

Comment

Nice price on the Delta 36-982. I can't see where you would go wrong there unless you got a Monday morning or Friday afternoon special. Murphy's Law

Poff, Nothing to be sorry for. It was good listing them your way. I just had in mind that the package deal would come to a nicer price. That's all

Comment

Hello,
            I bought the ridgid last febuary. The factory fence is solid and strait, the
            factory miter from ridgid is easier to read and adjust then the delta, and
            the over all set up and adjustments for blade // , fence squareness, are simple. The table saw is solid. I did buy a better miter, and I also replaced the factory blade. If you can get the 3650 for $500. 00 - go for it!

When I got my table saw I went to the stores and looked closely at them,
            then I went on line and read thru the owner manuels from cover to cover,
            then I went back and gave them a good look once more. Also I read on
            line reviews, back in febuary the home depot website had 25 5 star reviews
            for the 3650 with no bad reviews. To this day I have never encounter a
            tool with that much positive feed back. Good luck

Bob

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Biese fence....even the T2 is nice fence, just a lighter duty version. Either saw should serve you well, and you won't be able to tell from a piece of cut wood which saw it came from. The cost difference is minimal over the life of the saw, so is really a non-factor IMO b/c they're so close. Go with the one you like best, and be sure to get a good blade or two.

Comment

I have been told that Lowes is selling off the Biesemeyer 30 fences. Prices I have been told is that most stores are selling at $80.00 and have had two people say that they saw them for $50.00.

As far as teh saw goes, i cant really say about the delta, I have a 3650 and love it. I dont think you could go wrong with it.

REgards

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I just picked up a Biesemeyer yesterday for $80 at lowes. Now I'm torn between the 3650 for $550, the Delta 36-979 for $450 at lowes, and a Jet 708100 for $399 at Sears.

The negatives on each so far -

I will have to drill the 3650 to get it to take the biesemeyer, not a big deal just an inconvienence. I guess that's a good sign if it's the only negative so far.

I don't think the Delta has a TEFC, but it's a good price and the fence goes on easily. I could get a very nice blade for $100.

The Jet has steel wings instead of iron, but the motor is enclosed like a hybrid.

Comment

Originally posted by nothing View Post
                    I'm in the same boat. I just picked up a Biesemeyer yesterday for $80 at lowes. Now I'm torn between the 3650 for $550, the Delta 36-979 for $450 at lowes, and a Jet 708100 for $399 at Sears.

The negatives on each so far -

I will have to drill the 3650 to get it to take the biesemeyer, not a big deal just an inconvienence. I guess that's a good sign if it's the only negative so far.

I don't think the Delta has a TEFC, but it's a good price and the fence goes on easily. I could get a very nice blade for $100.

The Jet has steel wings instead of iron, but the motor is enclosed like a hybrid.
                    The Delta motor is a TEFC motor. Check out the pic below...it was taken from their online manual...the cover on the end opposite the shaft is conistent with TEFC motors.

One thing to consider about the hybrid design, is that you can add better fences, cast iron wings, etc. down the road (although not too convenient), but you can't do anything to improve the location of motor on the others. Maybe you could swap the stock Jet fence for a cast iron wing or two. All depends on what has the most appeal to you.

Great price on that Biese fence!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by hewood; 08-21-2007, 04:33 PM.

Comment

This is what I would do if / when I get a good table saw.

I would take a long hard look into what I could find in a used Delta Unisaw with single phase motor and left tilt. I would also do the same for the USA version of a Powermatic 66. Both are serious cabinet saws and if you can find one in nice shape you'll have a real investment. More than likely you'll be adding a good miter guide and fence along with a few good blades, but think of the machine you'll have. Now this would only be if there were some GOOD used and not junk ones at a nice price. I have seen some out there. Call me crazy, but if you ever use a good cabinet saw with a good fence and miter guide you get spoiled fast. I can't stand the cheapo belt drive design of the contractor saws for the money and that everything is lighter. A hybrid is the upper of a contractor saw on a cabinet style base for the most part. A true cabinet saw is a serious machine. I'm thinking of it as a 25 year investment. Why not get something really built and enjoy it? Before putting out good money, take some good looks at what's out there.

Comment

can anyone post their transaction number for their sale of the fence for $80? here they are charging still $300 and said if i could show that other stores are selling for that amount they would match..thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X