X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Deal on 3650 or Trouble

I have been looking at (my wife says drooling over) the 3650 table saw for quite a while, trying to decide when to take the plunge. Now that I have some money after closing on house, and 10% moving discount, I can make the purchase. One of the area Home Depots has a new 3650 that was dropped. The box is really crushed and torn open on the side where the motor is packaged. The end cover on the motor was dented, but they took the cover off, straightened it and put it back on.

The supervisor in the tool area told me they cannot return it to Rigid, and said he would sell it to me for $450. I said I would give $300. He said no. I plan to go back and offer $400, but don't know if that is such a good idea. I cannot tell without opening the box if something else is damaged.

Should I stay away form the dropped even if the super goes for $400?

I think I might be better off just bitting the bullet and getting the undamaged for $494.

Opinions Please!

Re: Good Deal on 3650 or Trouble

Only get the damaged one for under 1/2 price if you can. You never know what got messed up until you have it home and check each part carefully. You might get lucky and then maybe not. If you can get a new one in the box for under $500 no way would I take the $400 risk unless I had a way to know what is the real deal with it. At $250 I might take the risk and know if nothing else that I would have good parts for another if needed. If you know a good eBay seller you might part it out and make some $$$ on parts provided (please) that you junked what was damaged.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that both the Ridgid 3 Year Warranty and the Limited Lifetime Service Agree do not cover any damage that is caused by a clumsy Home Depot employee. The $400 or $300 or even $250 price you'll pay for that damaged saw won't cover any of the money it will cost you after the fact to repair any further hidden damage you might find. I would think long and hard before I'd buy that saw.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

A cast tool that's been dropped and has that much damage should be way less money than what's been mentioned....it's potentially a parts saw. I'd have to walk at those prices...people get new ones for < $500 regularly.
        Last edited by hewood; 08-22-2007, 06:26 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't do it. Maybe for half, but no more.
          No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Comment

Does the 90 day, no questions asked return policy include something like this? If so, offer half price and laugh loudly if it's in good shape. If it's broke, return it.
            ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Don't consider the $450 for even a minute!

They had the TS3650 on "sale" last year for $499... with your 10% coupon you'd already be at that price for a brand new model. As others have mentioned, you take a risk buying a known-damaged tool. The compensation for that risk is supposed to be a significantly reduced price. Given that one of Ridgid's big selling points is the lifetime warranty, don't put that on the chopping block for $50, or even $100.

Comment

Thanks for all the sound advice. It has made my decision much easier.

I will not be getting the damaged saw. I am not willing to take that risk. I will just have to buy the new one, maybe they will put it on sale before my moving coupon expires on 8/31.

I am sure I will be posting questions after I get the new saw home.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Comment

If so, offer half price and laugh loudly if it's in good shape.
                  LMAO ,, that is good stuff,Res!!

Comment

Working...
                  X