X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado Sets And The TS 3650-Again

OK, so I'm about to order an 8" dado set for my TS 3650, and I'm checking all the usual sales sites and forums, trying to find the best performance/price combination.

So far, I'm drooling over the Forrest Dado King DKO8244, the Infinity Dadonator, and the Ridge Carbide Dado Master sets-great reviews on all of them, but a bit pricey for me at this time.

Looking further, the Freud SD508 has great reviews-except for several people who have had problems using the full width specifically on a TS-3650; on Amazon, two reviewers said they couldn't use more than .5-.625 dado widths-and I need .75 (a skosh less, usually) primarily.

Nice price there, though.

The DeWalt DW 7670 has decent reviews; and it's a LOT cheaper than the others-made in China, I think; the low price makes me a little nervous-I have had some very bad experiences with the quality-or lack thereof-of Chinese steel in my former day job, as a machinist/die maker. And who knows how good their carbide quality is?

Really nice price, though.

So, I'm kinda leaning towards the Freud SD508-but can anyone tell me, with a fair amount of certainty, that I will be able to use the full dado width available on my TS 3650? Or is there really a problem? Anyone actually using the Freud?

Or is there a better suggestion? Or should I bite the bullet and go for one of the pricier brands?

BTW, I bought my TS 3650 in May; I think it is not only great value for the money, but-just great.

Thanks in advance; I've been enjoying reading and lurking at this forum a lot.

Re: Dado Sets And The TS 3650-Again

There to me seems to be two issues here, one is the quality of the dado set and hte other is the MAX dado width that the 3650 can accomodate. On the latter you should be able to stack up any make dado set to .750" and mount it in the TS-3650. The manul says that you can remove the outer washer when installing the dado set if need be, and you will need to to have full thread engagement on the nut (which you certaintly want).

The issue of blade quality it sounds like you have covered, any of the first three (Forrest Dado King DKO8244, Infinity Dadonator, Ridge Carbide Dado Master) are good dado sets.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob pretty much said it all although I believe the 3650 has the capacity to cut a 13/16" wide dado.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would obtain a 10 to 15 percent off coupon from Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up the Freud SD-208 for less than 80 dollars. Its quality is perfect for anything short of a full production shop and it will probably outlast its owner since it has really thick carbide for plenty of resharpenings...

Bryan

Comment

I just cut about 50-60 23/32" dado's in plywood with a Freud SD-508 on my TS3650. Worked like a charm.

You have to remove the washer to use the dado set full width, but I've never felt uncomfortable with that at all. The blades/chippers are quite secure with just the nut holding them on.

Comment

I could do the same feat with the 208 and take my girlfriend to a nice dinner

Comment

Originally posted by bryank30 View Post
              I could do the same feat with the 208 and take my girlfriend to a nice dinner
              LOL! Very true...

Comment

Garry, Do you honestly need an 8" dado. If your not going to making cuts deeper than 1" than there is no reason to get a 8" dado stack. I run the sd206 with my ts3650 and love it, smooth bottom cuts and no tearout on the edge, plus it weighs alot less than the 508, which produces alot less strain on the motor. You could buy a lu88, sd206 & a woodworker11 for the same price as the 508, and be set for a couple of years!!! Just my thoughts, take it for what you will.

ps AMAZON HAS ALL SAW BLADES 20% OFF (even the lu88, sd206, & woodworker11) SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry

Comment

Amazon has Freud saw blades 20% off plus enter freudiop and get an additional 10% off plus free shipping - The SD508 is originally $199.99 and with discounts it ends up at $139.99.

Comment

I agree with Biglarry go with the SD206 6" dado blade set.
                    I have a direct drive 10" delta contractor saw. It is dedicated for making dado cuts.
                    I did use ...for many years, an eight inch dado blade. Even cutting a 3/4" wide by 3/8" deep dado the saw would groan!
                    Yes I know the direct drive motor is not that strong..

But, my point is I purchased the SD206 blade via amazon about $65.00 including shipping, [Lowe's wants $98.00 for the same blade]

With the 6" dado stack I immediately realized smoother cuts, faster cuts, and the most obvious the motor no longer groaned! I did not sacrifice anything going to the 6" blade.

Cactus Man

Comment

Speaking of dado blades...does anyone have any experience with or comments about the CMT Dado Pro? The woodshopdemo guy gives this dado a great review and it's is available on amazon right now for $108. The demo says the chipper cutters are oversize so they overlap to give a really flat groove.

And hey, if Elena (or any of the other 'helpers' this guy has in his shop for that matter) says it's a good blade, then I say it's a good blade...

- djb
                      sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Just a quick note, on Amazon I see that Timberline Tools has the CMT Dado Pro for 107.66 and Amazon has it for 114. Don't try and buy it from Timberline, if you look at a lot of the tools they sell they have very poor reviews because they price the tool low just to get their name recognized. They will cancel your purchase after you pay for it. So my advice if you do want to buy the CMT Dado Pro is to pay the extra 7 bucks and buy it from Amazon directly.

Comment

Originally posted by AllMetalWeaver View Post
                          Just a quick note, on Amazon I see that Timberline Tools has the CMT Dado Pro for 107.66 and Amazon has it for 114. Don't try and buy it from Timberline, if you look at a lot of the tools they sell they have very poor reviews because they price the tool low just to get their name recognized. They will cancel your purchase after you pay for it. So my advice if you do want to buy the CMT Dado Pro is to pay the extra 7 bucks and buy it from Amazon directly.
                          Timberline charges for s/h too. The "extra $7" with Amazon entitles you to free s/h, plus any promos and their price protection.

Comment

I just purchased a Mibro 8" stacked dado set from Lowe's and it works very well on the TS3650. A good buy at $49.99.

Comment

Working...
                            X