Router Sled...Where or How to?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Sled...Where or How to?

Gentlemen, good morning from New Mexico.

Concerning: Router Sled - Homemade or purchased?

Some of you have made a router sled (or some device) to help with those small pieces (I'm routing the end grain on a one-inch piece of pine). Would anyone have pictures of their sled? Or maybe you know of an accessory that can be purchased?

Thanks.

Re: Router Sled...Where or How to?

Maybe a coping sled?
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...=coping%20sled

Or a full router sled. This one just got Top Tool rated in Wood magazine.
    http://www.in-lineindustries.com/single_dubby.html

Comment

Now that's what makes this forum worthy. The Rockler Rail Coping slide makes a bunch of sense. I was sure something was out there for working with small pieces.

Thanks.

Comment

I have the Rockler sled and it works great.

I also have the Dubby for the table saw and love that one too.

Where in New Mexico are you?

Michael

Comment

Please note: the Dubby isn't a router sled. It's a tablesaw sled. MCLS also has router coping sleds, as do most of the companies that specialize in router accessories.
          Joe Spear

Comment

Ack! You're right. I can't believe I actualy put Router Sled for that. My mind got away from me. I was toying with getting a Dubby and my brain said "sled = sled". Ha!

I can vouch for the Rockler coping sled. It's good for end grain work and is nicely made.

One problem with it, however, is that it sits flush against the fence along the whole length (of the sled). So, unless your bit is completely above the table and sled base, OR you want to let your router bits chew into the coping sled, you'll need to make some sort of auxiliary stand-off.

I use 1/4" hardboard, 3" wide. I have it cut a few inches longer than my router fence, so I can clamp it to the table at both ends. I cut out a half circle to accomodate the router bit "zone". With this in place I just slide the Rockler coping sled along the spacer and it keeps the sled safe from being cut up.

If I'm doing particularly narrow stock, I use a spacer which is only 1" wide, so the support is closer to the bit.

Comment

Wow! That Dubby sled is slick!! that may just end up on my Christmas list!

Also, check out their saw performance kit too. Power twist v-belt and steel pullies. They work awesome! Had one on my old contractors saw.
              Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Working...
              X