Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

    hi all, like many recently i picked up one of the biesemeyer fences from lowes for only $80..would really like to mount this on my ts3650 but not sure what and where needs to be drilled..so if any of you who picked up the fence system as well try and take a few photos to post what all is involved..thanks

  • #2
    Re: Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

    I also just picked up the fence. I don't have a 3650 (just an old wore out delta). The mounting holes did not line up with my saw but the instructions that come with the fence are very well thought out and clear regarding mounting on other saws. A few pointers; Make sure you have some good bar clamps for alignment, a fairly long straight edge, a helper would be handy, but not required, sharp drill bits and read the instructions ALL THE WAY through before you start. Pay attention to where the cast iron webbing on your table is located and pick another hole if it interferes.
    Took me a total of about 2 hours to install (most of the time was spent removing the old fence and resizing the table extention to fit my saw).
    Good luck.

    Jack
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

      Originally posted by matthewsutton View Post
      hi all, like many recently i picked up one of the biesemeyer fences from lowes for only $80..would really like to mount this on my ts3650 but not sure what and where needs to be drilled..so if any of you who picked up the fence system as well try and take a few photos to post what all is involved..thanks
      I installed mine today. The installation was easy just follow the directions. However, I did not use the rear rail that came with the kit. On the Ridgid saw the rear rail would require some cutting and I was not up to metalworking today. If you use the rear rail it would need to be cut in two places; 1) a small notch around the tab that is used to move the trunnion 2) the existing cutout on the rear rail would need to be made larger to compensate for the blade guard when the blade is tilted at 45 degrees.

      Since the rear rail is only used to hold the extension table I used the existing Ridgid rail and it work fine. I may install the Bies’ rear rail eventually. I’m not sure if I’m going to keep the fence or sell it and did not want to start hacking it up.

      I have no used it yet, but I have to say one thing it looks and feels strong and sturdy.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

        Can you post a picture of your TS3650 with the new Biesemeyer?

        TF
        - Toolfreak

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

          Originally posted by Toolfreak View Post
          Can you post a picture of your TS3650 with the new Biesemeyer?

          TF
          The place is a mess, but here you go.
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

            i have yet to finish my install...the front rail mounts fine using the factory holes in the biesemeyer rail..you just drill into the cast top. the back rail though has to be notched with a grinder cutting about 1x2" it appears so the saw can swing up to a 45 degree cut..but not a major deal. also it looks like i am going to have to drill and tap one more hole on the end of the back rail simply because the factory holes in the biesemeyer either line up over casting webs or like 1/2 inch away from the factory holes in the ridgid already. other than that it has been an easy install though and i will try to post pics soon

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

              Originally posted by matthewsutton View Post
              i have yet to finish my install...the front rail mounts fine using the factory holes in the biesemeyer rail..you just drill into the cast top. the back rail though has to be notched with a grinder cutting about 1x2" it appears so the saw can swing up to a 45 degree cut..but not a major deal. also it looks like i am going to have to drill and tap one more hole on the end of the back rail simply because the factory holes in the biesemeyer either line up over casting webs or like 1/2 inch away from the factory holes in the ridgid already. other than that it has been an easy install though and i will try to post pics soon
              Any pics yet? Im about to go out into shop now an do mine after having it for 2 months.Im a modest woodworker but hearing about drilling / tapping holes. I assume tapping you mean threading? Its a bit scary for me.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

                Hi, I just went out to install the Bies.Once I got off the rail thats on operator side I guess front. Then held bies tube up to it I decided to stop. The reson I stopped was the rip capacity of the bies is 31 inch and the 3650 is what 33? That two inches I have used a few times. Any opinions on this?
                Im now wondering what it would cost to get the 50 inch tube an rails but without the fence of course.
                Maybe I will just sell the whole kit. I do like the 3650 fence but I figured bies is more meatier an known to be very accurate.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

                  80 bucks for a Biesemeyer wow i feel like us Canadians are getting ripped off big time
                  ________
                  Harley-Davidson FLHS
                  Last edited by RODDY; 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

                    Originally posted by Woodywoodchuck View Post
                    Hi, I just went out to install the Bies.Once I got off the rail thats on operator side I guess front. Then held bies tube up to it I decided to stop. The reson I stopped was the rip capacity of the bies is 31 inch and the 3650 is what 33? That two inches I have used a few times. Any opinions on this?
                    Im now wondering what it would cost to get the 50 inch tube an rails but without the fence of course.
                    Maybe I will just sell the whole kit. I do like the 3650 fence but I figured bies is more meatier an known to be very accurate.
                    Woody - You're 3650 is a left tilting saw, so there will likely never be a need for you to use the fence on the left side of the blade. The stock Biese configuration gives you several inches to the left that you won't use, so you can mount the angle bracket in it's stock setup as described in the instructions, then can slide the whole front tube over to the right and easily get 40" rip capacity. If you slide it by the spacing of one bolt hole, you should be able to use enough of the stock holes to bolt it down securely. You'll need to relocate the tape measure (or replace it). I've added a router table in the extra space. You can add support if you like...I didn't and it's been very stable, but my saw is over 400#.

                    This pic shows the original stock setup with the rail further to the left:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	caca35c50ca6ee7e1080950fb85d3873.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	2073

                    In this pic, you can see that the angle bracket is setup normally, but the front rail is now 10" further to the right than it was originally: Click image for larger version

Name:	98546254d1a1ee0ac24afcdea23c26a5.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	2071

                    This pic doesn't show it well, but it gives some idea of the extra capacity (40"):
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	c6671435db0e56a5b65044ebf5b2d6f2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2074

                    p.s. Nice looking setup you got there MrZ!
                    Last edited by hewood; 10-22-2007, 08:08 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

                      Originally posted by hewood View Post
                      Woody - You're 3650 is a left tilting saw, so there will likely never be a need for you to use the fence on the left side of the blade. The stock Biese configuration gives you several inches to the left that you won't use, so you can mount the angle bracket in it's stock setup as described in the instructions, then can slide the whole front tube over to the right and easily get 40" rip capacity. If you slide it by the spacing of one bolt hole, you should be able to use enough of the stock holes to bolt it down securely. You'll need to relocate the tape measure (or replace it). I've added a router table in the extra space. You can add support if you like...I didn't and it's been very stable, but my saw is over 400#.

                      This pic shows the original stock setup with the rail further to the left:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	caca35c50ca6ee7e1080950fb85d3873.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	2073

                      In this pic, you can see that the angle bracket is setup normally, but the front rail is now 10" further to the right than it was originally: Click image for larger version

Name:	98546254d1a1ee0ac24afcdea23c26a5.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	2071

                      This pic doesn't show it well, but it gives some idea of the extra capacity (40"):
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	c6671435db0e56a5b65044ebf5b2d6f2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2074

                      p.s. Nice looking setup you got there MrZ!
                      Thank you so much, very helpful.I think I will do that. I usally measure from the blade to fence anyways (old habits in the early 90s school workshop), so the tape not being any good for now is fine.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

                        I checked the Lowe's web page, and didnt see the Biesemeyer fence listed. Until I get to the Lowe's store, which fence are you talking about for $80?

                        I have an old (1957) sears 100 10" bench saw (goldie) with extensions on both sides. The blade is true, but the fence always requires two or more measurement checks & adjustments to verify a straight cut. Should I consider adding this fence, or will I have retrofit problems? In other words, will the juice be worth the squeeze?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

                          Originally posted by Woodywoodchuck View Post
                          Thank you so much, very helpful.I think I will do that. I usally measure from the blade to fence anyways (old habits in the early 90s school workshop), so the tape not being any good for now is fine.
                          ...So simple, even a caveman can do it!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

                            Originally posted by rck48 View Post
                            I checked the Lowe's web page, and didnt see the Biesemeyer fence listed. Until I get to the Lowe's store, which fence are you talking about for $80?

                            I have an old (1957) sears 100 10" bench saw (goldie) with extensions on both sides. The blade is true, but the fence always requires two or more measurement checks & adjustments to verify a straight cut. Should I consider adding this fence, or will I have retrofit problems? In other words, will the juice be worth the squeeze?
                            Lowes has put on clearance there Bies Fence system for a couple months now. Some stores were charging 300 some 50 most around 80. I would call all lowes your willing to drive to and give them this item number 237671 an see if they have any in stock. There were long post about it on sawmill creek also. You can also search google for the 30 bieseymeyer fence there were alot on craigslsit for sale for a good deal. I sold one of mine for 220. I paid 198 for 2 with tx.

                            Heres one excerpt "I was just told that if you go to a store that does not have the sale price, you can order it from the other store that does have the sale price and it can be transfered to the store you want. I don't know if this is good with all stores, but the one here in Tucson said that it shouldn't be a problem anywhere. Good luck. Already have 2"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Biesemeyer mounting on ts3650

                              Thanks for the heads up fellas. I just picked up the last one from my local Lowes!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X