X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press

I am looking for a larger drill press for my shop. Has anyone used the Ridgid drill press (floor model). Do they have a mortising attachment available? Most of my work will be woodworking-related.

Re: Drill Press

Hi Ken, and welcome to the forums. I don't have this DP but you could look at them at HD - at least, mine still has them on display. As far as the mortising attachments go I believe that you're going to find some comments that the required pressure to push that chisel into the workpiece tends to deflect the tables and sometimes forces them to creep downward. I bought the attachment for my Shopsmith and it's nearly worthless. I'm probably going to go with the Delta or the Harbor Freight - don't know yet. Being bench mounted you don't get any deflection. Keep us posted and don't forget to do a search on these three woodworking forums.
    Later,
    Chiz
    Later,
    Chiz

Comment

I have and use the Ridgid Drill Press. I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. I have the Ridgid mortising attachment for it as well. They DO sell the Ridgid-branded kit on the parts website. I can absolutely recommend the Ridgid drill press. I know others here have had some negative words about the arbor in the Ridgid DP, but personally, I've never had a reason to dislike it. I'm one of those (maybe it's a female thing??) that reads the instruction manual and then puts things together. Usually....well...I do know where to find the manual as I'm putting the thing together....and the DP had it's moments where I had to read and re-read the particular instructions for some parts. Generally it's pretty straight-forward though.

I can't really highly recommend the Ridgid branded mortising attachment. The fence piece that comes with it is horribly intricate to attach. While it's a fine fence once attached, getting it there is a stand-on-your-head-rub-your-belly-chew-gum kind of exercise. I'm only good with the gum-chewing part of that! I think the Delta mortiser attachment has a better fence. Personally, I use the Ridgid mortiser and a home-made fence. One of these days I'm going to put a better hold-down on the fence!
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

If you already have a drill press then I'd suggest you look at a dedicated mortising machine. Harbor freight usually have them on sale.

I have a 12" bench top Delta drill press and I have the Delta mortising kit.
        It works but.....

The kit is a hassle to attach. It is awkward with large pieces. I also suspect it does place stress on the drill press itself.

When I decide to make a lot of mortise and tenon joints I may pick up a Harbor Freight unit or spend the big bucks on the Delta stand alone system.
        hf# 35570 $99.00
        hf# 45007 $149.00

steel city# 025-200 $279.99
        Delta # 14-651 $272.79

Delta mortising kit for drill press#123-089 $87.99

If your usage is minimal go with the drill press attachment, but you indicate some serious usage and for that buy a dedicated machine. You may pay a bit more up front but you'll be happier in the long run.

Cactus Man

Comment

Depending on where you live, you may have a good woodworking and or metal working machinery dealer. Sometimes they have nice used machinery for sale. It may pay to take a good look.

As for the Ridgid drill press, it's not a bad machine, but if you're used to better you'll feel let down. For a home user that's starting out, I feel it should serve him/her pretty well. Do take your time and carefully assemble it. If something totally stumps you, ask on this forum, and also prowl the forum. Be sure to take a parts count to be sure it is ALL there before starting. Super clean any parts that are grease or oil coated for rust preventing.

If I were in the market for a drill press, I would look long and hard. Delta and Jet are well worth looking over, but remember both of those brands make some cheapo junk and also some that will be totally overkill. You need to figure out just what you'll be using it for and then discuss your needs with a few good machinery dealers. Also, see the machines setup.

One thing I will bring up is that I have yet to see any belts from China that aren't total ****. Replacing them with brand name USA belts can save much frustration with vibration issues.

WARNING: A floor standing drill press is too much for one normal person to handle. If something gets out of control you'll end up at the emergency room. They are heavy and hard to handle. Get a helper to help with moving and assembly. Follow instructions carefully and remember any tools that come with it are junk. You would do well to have quality hand tools ready.

Note: The 2 main locations of Home Depot near me no longer stock any stationary machinery at all. You may have to hunt down the drill press. Be sure the box is not all bashed up and if it is, REFUSE to take that one. Don't pay until you are sure of just what you are paying for. Take a helper with you to HD as their people are worthless when it comes to loading things.
          Last edited by Woussko; 08-27-2007, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ironhat View Post
            As far as the mortising attachments go I believe that you're going to find some comments that the required pressure to push that chisel into the workpiece tends to deflect the tables and sometimes forces them to creep downward. Chiz
            You should always put a support peice under the table when using the DP for mortising.
            http://www.americanwoodworker.com/as...d=679&PageNo=3

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              <snip>
              Take a helper with you to HD as their people are worthless when it comes to loading things.
              Boy, is this true! When they loaded my jointer onto the truck they managed to shove the tall, flat dolly under my lowered tailgait causing $250 worth of dents and scratches. To their credit they paid up. I would that it didn't happened at all, though. Also, and I know that this dead horse has been covered before but removing the large machinery display may just kill this market for Ridgid. People spending that kind of money don't buy 'pigs in pokes', as it were.
              Later,
              Chiz

Comment

I just received the WOODCRAFT sale flyer for Sept and they're advertising the Steel City Bench Mortiser for $279.99 with a $40 mail in rebate. That would bring the price down to $239.99. Not sure if the offer is good at any other dealers.
                If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Working...
                X