X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Suggestions for Garage Cabinets

Just moved into another house and need cabinets for the garage to store lots of stuff. Would like to keep as much stuff as possible off the floor. I went to Home Depot and Lowes yesterday and checked out their cabinets. They sell Closetmaid, Workforce and Black and Decker. Not too impressed with the plastic cabinets, kinda flimsy and the shelves don't hold too much weight. The nicer Closetmaid are a little pricey but they are an option.

I would like to get your opinion on what would be good cabinets. Nothing fancy, but I don't want junk. I'm not in the position to make cabinets at this time.

Thanks

Re: Need Suggestions for Garage Cabinets

Check ouy the local Habitat for Humanity resale store if there is one near you. You can sometimes find great buys on cabinets, table tops, etc.

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Another place to check out would be remodeling contractors. They sometimes have used cabinets for sale that they salvage from kitchen remodel jobs.

If you live or near a city that is serviced by craigslist you can sometimes find cabinets for sale in the "materials" category.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I went through the same thing a couple of years ago. I looked at all the name-brand cabinets, but couldn't talk myself into spending the money. I looked for removed cabinets, and got a corner overhead. But most removed kitchen cabinets were older, and built in place, so there's no structure to them on their own. in other words, they usually get yanked out and trashed.

I eventually found the best bang for the buck were the cabinets at Target, of all places. I don't remember the brand, but they are gray melamine style cover over heavy chipboard. I've got garage tools, oil, paint cans, etc., on them, and they haven't sagged or pulled out yet. I got a smaller one for helmets and bike stuff.

They look like this: You can also see the overhead cabinet over in the corner. I bought three large ones (one is out of site on the right, by the beer 'fridge ) and could probably use a couple more!

Steve
        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Steve,

Is that the Morris garage,I could eat my Breakfast off that floor.

You could manufacture computer chips in there.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Steve,

Is that the Morris garage,I could eat my Breakfast off that floor.

You could manufacture computer chips in there.
            HA! It isn't that clean on the floor. there's residue of gear oil, engine oil, degreaser, spilled beer, etc. ground in there. Plus the paint is pealing, and I'll never get all the stuff out to give it a good epoxy paint job. So I wouldn't eat off of it!

But yep, that's the imfamous Morris Garage. Click on the link in my sig, and then any of the pics for the toys. Or for a *lot* more photos, go to the smugmug gallery here. Click on the Misc Garage Photos gallery for some shots of the garage as it was just this last weekend. Took those for a Vespa forum, so it is somewhat scooter biased.
            Last edited by smorris; 08-31-2007, 11:06 PM. Reason: Edited broken link to photos
            Steve
            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Oh, com'on now, those are NOT garage cabinets!!! Those are new side by side refers for keeping your bubbly cold!!!

Mark
              Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
                Oh, com'on now, those are NOT garage cabinets!!! Those are new side by side refers for keeping your bubbly cold!!!
                Mark
                That would be a lot of bubbly.

I checked on them, and they are "California Cabinets" from Target. But Target doesn't seem to list them any more. Check your local store to see if they are available. I'd like to get a couple more of the small ones.
                Steve
                www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Why not make your own cabinets out of something sturdy, like plywood? Then they can be any size you like, and they will certainly be better than any "bargain" cabinets you'll get at the retail places.

No need to get fancy either - use wood glue and some screws to assemble them. The doors can be made of mdf, plywood, or plastic laminate. If you use laminate, you won't even need to paint them!

Comment

Check the Sept. '07 issue of the family hANDYMAN. It has a featured article on garage storage.
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Would you maybe like a steel cabinet like in the picture below? This one stands 72" high and is 36 wide and 18 deep. The shelves are adjustable.

While new they run into some good money, sometimes you can find them used at office furniture dealers (check for new floor samples with slight damages as they will cost far less than new)or if a large office building is remodeling they will sell off what they have at a good price. Auction barns and estate sales are other places where you might find some.

I've seen smaller of this style that are wall hung in several sizes. They do come in very handy.

Tan one is floor standing. Gray one is wall hung.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Woussko; 09-01-2007, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Good point Woussko brings up. I know there is a used office furniture place in my area that has metal cabinets such as these for little money. The guy takes any dents out, replaces locksets and missing handles if need be, and paints them too. While not NFPA approved a metal storage cabinet would be better than something made from wood or a wood byproduct for storing paint and chemicals. And if you have kids whatever type of cabinet you have it would be good to have at least one that is lockable so you can put the most dangerous stuff behind lock and key.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Home depot sells component cabinets that really look great when installed...you pick out the dimensions of the components to fit the spot you need a cabinet in. We put some in a rental....natural birch and they looked great.
                          \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Comment

In todays ad from Lowes, they show a cool looking diamond plate storage cabinet. Most likely heavy plastic but looks nice and is big.
                            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

marchboom -

I know you said you're not in a position to build cabinets right now. But I'll chime in with pug and suggest that making shop cabinets doesn't have to be a monumental task. Here's a very simple design for cabinets that are really sturdy, look great, and are available in any size you can imagine.

Just in case you decide to build...

Good luck,
                              - djb
                              sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Working...
                              X