Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mortising machine question

I saw a mortising machine on E-Bay item# 190145946240

It is a rand mortising machine. they are asking $114.95 including 1/4, 1/2 & 5/8 bits.
    It is 1/2hp motor and runs at 3600rpm.

This thing looks interesting, nicer than from Harbor freight.

The question...who is "Rand"??? I did a Google search but was unable to locate any manufacturer with that name that makes this machine.

Anyone familiar with this product?

Cactus Man

Re: mortising machine question

when you figure in the $45 in shipping I would go for the jet, in this auction 150155236356 at lest you have a real company to back the machine up. if there is a problem. (at lest that is what the shipping to my location would be.)

my guess is there trying to make people think there part of the "Ingersoll-Rand" family, and I really doubt that that there is any connection and I did a web search and did not come up with any thing as of yet.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Hello from Phoenix Cactus Man! LOL

I agree with the Jet deal. A real wellknown machine and free shipping? Can't really beat it.

The "Rand" looks like a knockoff of the Delta or any other "real" machine. Most likely made way west of L.A.! LOL

Mark
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Years ago, there were a few "Rand" companies (back in the 30's and 40's). Can't think of them all, but Remington Rand and Ingersoll-Rand were just a couple. To my knowledge, there was no relationship between any of them.

I used to work for Ingersoll-Rand and later Dresser-Rand, and I assure you neither of these made any woodworking equipment. So, I would agree that it's probably a knock-off from Asia, trying to sound American, much like many of the Harbor Freight company names.

I'd check further and find a "still-in-business" company, where you can get parts and service if need be.

CWS

Comment

Here is some info from the WMH Tool Group - JET web site on this model the JBM-5.

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/Shop/ind...id=11763&vid=0

(Woodcraft) http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...fcode=07INCHIN

(Amazon) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...osim/wmtogr-20

Comment

Wow, looks like 199 and free shipping is a good deal! Wish I needed one but have a Delta. Works great.

Mark
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Working...
            X