Let's see some pictures of your dust collection setup on your miter saw's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's see some pictures of your dust collection setup on your miter saw's

I have a dewalt sliding compound miter saw and it makes the dust! I am trying to come up with a design so I can catch a lot of the dust. This is the biggest dust problem I have in my shop right now. I have a 4" hose behind it, a 2" hose on the factory exhaust port and my air filtration unit directly above it and it is still dust me out.

So, I am asking for any help to help me get this under control so Ican start the planning of my new miter saw station when I get time to make it.

Thanks,

Eric

Sorry I can't offer photo's, but I use the bag that came with my MS1060, a broom, and a WD1635 with a floor attachment.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

You might want to check out the plan at Wood Online. It has four mini-plans for dust collection on a CMS, TS (I believed they used a 2424 for a model), drill press, and bandsaw. I'd show you a picture but I haven't built mine yet.
      Patrick<br />patrickssmith@cox.net<br />members.cox.net/patrickssmith

Comment

If you will make a tool stand for your SCMS that has places to bolt it down but is open underneath so that the saw dust can fall through. Underneath make a sloped shelf from the front to the back. On the back side make a back that is high enough for the chips to hit & run it straight down & make the sides taper like a funnel wide from the top to narrow on the bottom & tapered from the front to the back, it'll also help if your able to curve the back splash. In essence you'll have a giant funnel under & behind the saw stand with a dust port on the bottom. All the chips fall through or hit the back splash & slide down to the bottom to be sucked up by the DC. I hope I described this well enough.

Someone on Badger Pond had built one like this. I don't have room to build one like this now because my shop is so small that I turn my RAS to the right & just set the 12" CMS on the RAS table.

[ 07-25-2003, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: VLL ]

Comment

Wizkid,

This is a link to one I made for the RAS. I had the Craftsman kit, but it just didn't work. This one catches most of the dust and I made it out of scrap.

RAS dust collection

Bob R

Comment

Bob R

I am surprised it works so well, because of the small hose & where the hose is connected. It looks like your using a shop Vac? I used one too on my RAS when I first started out.

When you do get a Dust Collector try hooking your hose on the bottom or at least on the side at the bottom. Anytime I can hook up a dust hood so it draws down I do I have found it almost always works better. Also you'll find that a Dust Collector moves a lot more air & thus will more easily move more chips & dust.

[ 07-25-2003, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: VLL ]

Comment

VLL,

The small hose just runs from the guard to the box and really doesn't do much. I believe this is mainly for ripping and since I don't rip on the RAS, it doesn't provide a lot of functionality. I do use a dust collector that attaches to the 4" opening on the back of the box. I run a 6" hose for the main run and then the last foot is for reducing the 6" to the 4" connection. I don't have the DC connected in the pictures, but I believe you can see the opening for the connection in a couple of the pictures.

Bob R

Comment

Thanks a bunch. I will keep that design in mind because it seems it is a pretty good setup with a funnel. I will have a 4" hose going into mine with a dust collector so I hope to be able to really move the air so that it catches most of the dust. I need to get my shop organized and setup so I can go ahead and build me a work table top and get this started. That saw is just to dusty for me.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                X