Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

What is the correct nailer for installing pre-hung doors?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the correct nailer for installing pre-hung doors?

What type of nailer should be used to attach a pre-hung door? Most articles talk about using 8-D finish nails, but the largest finish nail gun seems to be 15-gauge, quite a bit smaller than 8-D, and I believe that framing nailers use clipped or full round heads not conducive to setting. Is a 15- or 16-gauge finish nailer big enough for hanging doors?

Re: What is the correct nailer for installing pre-hung doors?

You could always shoot a few 15ga to hold it in place, then hand nail with the correct size.

I've used 16ga on the jambs of lightweight interior doors and they seem pretty sturdy.

Comment

Depending on the situation I either used 10 Penney (3") or 16 penny (3 1/2")
      casing nails, if there were no shims some times a 8d (2 1/2") casing or headless

and the nailer I used was a cordless model, most had a wood handle and a 16 oz head, some of the later ones came out with fiberglass or steel handles, I do believe they still sell this type of cordless model of nail driver, and it will drive all kinds and sizes and types of nails. (anything from brads to 60d nails)

After driving the nail to flush, then used a nail set to set the head of the nail slightly below the surface.
      Last edited by BHD; 09-05-2007, 03:05 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I've hung so many pre-hung and prefit doors that I can't estimate the total. 16 gauge is fine. 18 gauge is just as fine. It's more about jamb preparation and how much attention you pay to what you're doing. I've NEVER had a complaint about doors going out of adjustment because of the nails. If you want a really rock solid intall, use 2 1/2" drywall screws, though there will be more filling to hide the screw heads.

Jack
        ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

You have received responses that seem contradictory, but they are not. bhd's response seems to be for exterior doors and res057's for interior. Both are correct, but they neglected to tell you that to properly set a prehung door, you should shim the jamb behind each hinge and the lockset. (and any other place to make the door fit properly) The jamb should be anchored at each shim with either nails or screws. This is usually done after the door is set by nailing through the casing. If you anchor the shims with screws, I suggest putting the screws behind the hinges and the strike plate for the lock. Saves on filler.
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
            You have received responses that seem contradictory, but they are not. bhd's response seems to be for exterior doors and res057's for interior. Both are correct, but they neglected to tell you that to properly set a prehung door, you should shim the jamb behind each hinge and the lockset. (and any other place to make the door fit properly) The jamb should be anchored at each shim with either nails or screws. This is usually done after the door is set by nailing through the casing. If you anchor the shims with screws, I suggest putting the screws behind the hinges and the strike plate for the lock. Saves on filler.
            Jim
            Bingo, if they had a thumbs up Icon on here You would be looking at 10 of them right now. That is the true way of doing it..
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

that to properly set a prehung door, you should shim the jamb behind each hinge and the lockset. The jamb should be anchored at each shim with either nails or screws.
              I jsut thought that was understood as the proper way to set a door regardless if it is shop built or on site or a prehung.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                I jsut thought that was understood as the proper way to set a door regardless if it is shop built or on site or a prehung.
                bhd--You are right on. I just wasn't sure if the man knew that.

Comment

I was called out to bid a huge kitchen years ago in a killer custom house. While I was waiting on the customer and general to break free, I took a look at some of the interior doors. These doors were all custom built 8 foot tall knotty Alder doors. The moron framer framed the openings too wide and the idiot door installer just kept shooting nails into it until it kinda stayed in place. On the one door I cked, I counted 97 gun nails!! (probably 2 1/2" long)
                  There was no trim on it yet and I also noticed there were no shims either. Needless to say, the poor finisher will have to fill and try to hide those 97 nail holes before staining, providing it actually stayed in the wall! I suspect the whole house was done the same.

Personally, If it's a tight fit and few shims are needed, a 2 1/2" gun nail is ok, but I still like to use a 4" screw in one of each hinges and some 16 penny finish nails for strength.

Mark
                  Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

I have seen many doors hung this way in town here. They would install the trim on one side, place the door and jambs up against the trim, nail the trim into the door jambs. Then install the trim on the other side, the same way and they are finished. Not one nail going into the Jack stud and no shims. And yet these doors we hanging for longer then 50 years. Most of them never even sagged, strange....
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X