X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 13" Planer

Wife (bless her heart) bought me the Ridgid 13" planer for Christmas - unpacking and setting up was a snap and I've been busy creating wood chips ever since. Results seem to be good but I have a question with respect to the discharge of chips. In previous posts, I think I read that all the chips should be dischrged on the outfeed side, via the dust collector chute. That seems to be the case for mine, although I get quite a bit of chips comming out the infeed side. Is this normal. ( I don't have the planer hooked up to a dust collection system yet)

When you get something hooked up to the dust port you will only get as much as a little dust coming from the infeed. It depends on what you use for a dust collector.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Until you get some DC hooked up, it's normal to have some chips on both sides. It's depends a bit on the width of the wood and the depth of cut. DC should help alot, but not necessarily 100%.

Comment

I have the DW735, the chip collector accessory (nothing more than a 4" hose and bonnet that fits over a trash can), and the stand that they sell for it. The 735 has a built-in chip blower that is pretty powerful. I used it for a while with a trash can and it works well. A couple of problems with using the trashcan though.

1. The bonnet uses a draw string to fit it around the top of the can. there is no elastic so it is tough to get a tight seal and chips leak out, especially as the can gets over half full. I added a bungee cord which reduced the leakage to near zero. Another benefit of the bungee is I twice had the bonnet fly off the trashcan and chips went everywhere! Blew stuff out of the can plus what was comming off the wood being planed, what a mess to clean up!

2. Using the trash can takes up valuable floor space and means there are two items to move around if you don't have dedicated space for the planer in the shop.

I tried hooking the planer up to my Delta 1200CFM DC and the blower in the planer has a greater velocity than the DC, the back pressue created caused chips to be pushed out the infeed side, not good.

I solved the above problems by building a box that fits inside the stand. To do this I had to lower the middle shelf which is part of the stand, but no the top that the planer sits on. This box was sized to accept a 14 x 20 furnace filter on the top. I built a channel to hold the filter in place as part of the box. I also cut a 4" hole in the end near the top and attached a 4" PVC closet flange. The 4" dust hose fits snugly over this and I don't even need a clamp to hold it on but it is still easy to remove and re-install. This has worked weel for the shrt time I have had it in place (about 2 months), but I am thinking of adding another 4" port to attach my DC hose to so that the planer will pump the chips into the box and the DC will remove the chips from there to the seperator. The filter on the top of the box will function to allow the overpressue from the planer chip blower to be relieved and thereby eliminate the chips blowing back that I expierenced when the DC was connected directly to the planer.

Comment

AJP, If you don't have a DC connected to your planer yet then don't use the dust shoot. Take it off and let the chips fly out the back. Without the vacuum the port is not big enough to let all of the chips out and they back up into the planer.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thanks for the excellent info, folks. Happy New Year!!

Comment

Don't waste your time with a dust collection system that is less than 4". It will generally clog and cause chip backup.

Comment

I don't know a lot about planers yet, but after using my cousins planer and helping another guy with preping boards, I know that if you are getting a lot of shavings and such through the infeed side, it mens your dust shute is plugged, or, if you are using a shop-vac, your vacuum is full.
                <a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/buctooth\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/buctooth</a><br />Please tell us how you like the site, even if you hate it. If you want, feel free to visit the forum.

Comment

I have the Ridgid planer and really like it. I have learned a few things that may be obvious to old pros, but I did it the hard way. The 4" hose with a strong shop vac works fine for me and you will fill your vac very quickly so keep an eye on it. The chips that blow back do bother me and I have to stop and clean out the planer if I am running a lot of stock, especially if it's pine, the chips are rather sticky. I have also learned that (following Ridgid instructions) using rubbing alcohol to clean the bed and feed rollers helps a great deal to keep the resins off and preventing the "caking" of chips and dust. My system is not ideal but I have fun. When I use the planer without the dust chute it performs better in terms of chip exhaust, just depends on your situation. The person that mentioned lack of air volume through the vacuum is probably right on, the planer probably blows harder than most vacuums.

Comment

Working...
                  X