Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I apply paste wax? (newbie)

Hi all,

i'm a proud new owner of TS3650. It's my first table saw. I'm very excited... and a little cautious. i searched the forum to see if anyone had already asked my particular question, but i didn't see it. So here it goes...

I've already applied Renaissance Wax (3 coats) to the table top and extension tops, but i was wondering if i needed to apply it anywhere else.

the instruction manual said "all unpainted metal surfaces". would i need to wax the sides of the table top and extensions as well. i didn't wax the sides where the table and extensions join together prior to assembly. should i dis-assemble and apply wax to these edges? or am i just being paranoid.

also, i used 409 to degrease the table top before applying the wax. in the future, should i use mineral spirits instead?

Thanks in advance for your help. i look forward to many long years as a member of this forum.

-Greg

Re: Where should I apply paste wax? (newbie)

Hi Greg!

Welcome to the forums. That's a fine TS you got, and I'm sure you're going to love it for years to come!!

I see you're in GA. Rust shouldn't be a huge issue, so what you've done is adequate I think. I didn't wax the sides where the table meets the wings either. I also didn't wax the sides where the rails attach. Every so often I'll clean off the surface with whatever's around (last time was naptha...I don't recommend it cause it's rather flammable!). Then I apply a coat of wax on all the surfaces I can get to. This includes the rails. Although the rails aren't subject to rust, the wax helps the fence slide nice and easy.

I also haven't waxed the underside of the table or wings. I doubt I ever will considering I've never seen even a hint of rust underneath.

Great question, Greg! Really made me think about what I should and shouldn't wax!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

You should only need to wax anything that is bare cast iron and facing up. usually if its not directly exposed or facing down it will not tend to rust. Be sure to cover the table top with plastic when not in use as it will help lot to keep the rust away.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt and insightful responses. as i am new to woodworking, i really appreciate that veteran members take time out of their busy schedules to address questions like mine.

is plastic the best covering, or is there something better? previously, i read in another thread that auto body shops sell a cover that is normally used to keep auto parts from rusting when they are shipped. not sure what it is made of, though.

anybody heard of something like that?

thanks again,
        greg

Comment

Do not cover you saw with plastic. Plastic doesn't breath and consequently won't let moisture escape. A piece of cardboard, a movers blanket or even a plain old sheet would be much better choices.

Welcome to the group, we'll be looking forward to your future posts.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I agree with Dave on not using plastic. Personally I don't put anything over my CI surfaces and they seem to do just fine with a protective coat of wax. I do clean all sawdust off of them after use as it will absorb moisture which would then be in contact with the CI surface and promote rust.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Sorry but it is nonsense that a plastic will hold moisture in and accelerate rust. It's caused by oxygen and humidity that will cause rusting. A plastic sheet will lock out the airflow over the table and leave too little air above for the iron to rust to start taking effect. My cast iron tables sit in an outdoor garage in a house directly in front of the beach getting slammed by the salty wind directly 24/7. Thats about as worse scenario as it gets. I can leave the table uncovered and with the thickest coat of wax Boeshield or whatever and it will already be developing signs of rust quite literally overnight. I cover everything up with plastic and even if I let them sit out for 3 or 4 months with no use they will not rust even the slightest bit if everything is well covered in plastic. A blanket of any kind will only hold out for a few weeks at best. I've already been through all this. Anything that is porous such as a blanket will wick humidity and still let air through so it will eventually rust. Also, I'd recommend a product called Boeshied T-9 for the iron surfaces. It's way more effective at preventing rust.
              Last edited by Velosapien; 09-05-2007, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Here in humid but not salty North Carolina (60 miles inland), I have had exactly the opposite experience of Velosapien. Plastic collected condensation at night and caused surface rust within a week. Went to a cotton blanket and things got better, made it three weeks between scrubbing/waxing. Then I used Bilmoy's tip about Penetrol (actually a paint flow additive found by the paint sprayers). Wiped on a thin coat, let it dry, and then waxed (the penetrol does not leave a slick finish.) finally, after 6 months and a lot of wood across the saw, I am now just starting to see some rust stain where the wood has run across the top, so I need to redo. I have not tried Bo Shield on the TS (I used it and LPS 3 on boat electronics on FL gulf coast before moving here very successfully).

Just my experience. Probably will depend on your local climate.

Go

PS I just use Johnson's for the paste wax. I did not get too aggessive on cleaning the bottom surfaces of the cast iron top/extensions and have had no problems with rust here. My TS is in an unheated/un-air-conditioned garage.
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks for the spirited debate.

Sounds like i have the same conditions as the last poster. Hot Southern climate, no Heat/AC garage.

If i do detect rust, what is the best way to remove it without damaging the TX surface.

one person mentioned WD-40 and steel wool and another said they used Bartender's Friend and a Scotch brite pad. i've use Bartender's Friend on my sink and it did work well for that.

any other suggestions. the more i can learn from you guys the better.

Comment

WD40 and steel wool or scotch brite will do just fine. I use the Norton steel wool replacement pads in 000 "grit" and I find they are a lot more effective than real steel wool though. After cleaning wipe the table dry of any remaining WD-40 and then let sit for a while so any remaining oil evaporates before applying whatever you choose to apply as a protective coat.

As for what to cover it up with, the bottom line is in the end it will last a lot longer without rusting if it's covered up than if it's not. Humidity and all sorts of crap in the air that accelerate corrosion settle on the top surfaces by simple gravity. Thats why the top side will rust exponentially faster than the bottom. Covering it up will keep humidity from continually accumulating on the top and rusting things out.
                    Last edited by Velosapien; 09-06-2007, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Barkeeps friend will get rid of the rust, but has oxalic acid in it, so when you flush it off with a wet or damp rag, it will flash rust immediately. If you use it, wipe it with a damp rag after getting the rust broken loose, and then immediately hit it with some paste wax before the wetness evaporates. this will keep the oxygen from reacting with the acidic surface. WD40 works too. After having tried it (Barkeeps Friend), I only use it (usually with a Scotch-brite pad) when I have a pretty serious spot (like when I accidentally leave a piece of "wet" lumber like ACQ treated pine, green oak or walnut laying on the saw table over night). I then go back and get the flash rust with the wd-40 and steel wool, and then clean it up and protect it.
                      To clarify, I am not saying plastic does not work. It just did not work for me here using just Johnson's paste wax as a protectorant. Johnson's is inexpensive, gives a good slick surface for pushing wood across, and does not cause the subsequent coating problems that silicone-based waxes do. By itself, I have not found it to be a good rust preventive against sweat and condensation on ferrous metals. In a dry climate or climate-controlled shop, it probably is all you need. My experience in FL and NC leads me to believe more is needed in a humid environment.

Go
                      Last edited by Gofor; 09-08-2007, 09:05 PM.
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I also use paste wax anywhere you have friction such at the face of fences, miter bar. On the side discussion, my dad lives in Augusta and that's where the shop is and we cover our tools with plastic and place a dessicant bucket under the plastic. Works great.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                        X