Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please - Large Red Oak Tree Has Fallen

Hello,
    We had an extremely large red oak (in perfect condition and absolutely beautiful), a smaller red oak and an ash tree die and have to be cut down. They are now sitting in our back yard. Please if you have the means and you would like a lot of money worth of wood, come and get it. We can not afford to pay you (the cost of cutting down the trees already stretched our budget), but you can have the gains from your hard work.
    Thank you
    Colleen Cotton

Re: Help Please - Large Red Oak Tree Has Fallen

If you call a local arborist they will know someone with a portable saw who may be interested in the lumber. You might also try emailing the local Woodmizer dealer ( pennsylvania@woodmizer.com ) who will probably know someone in your area with a saw.
    If is better to cut the tree up soone after felling, if it sits too long it's not good.

You could also post on WOODWEB's Lumber Sawing & Drying Forum, where I'll wager you'll have more responses than you know what to do with inside 24 hours. http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/sawdry.pl

You probably could get a couple hundred for the lumber (depending on how many board feet you have) to help offset the cost of felling the trees.

As an example almost 2 years ago a friend of mine took down a large Rad Oak and gave me the truck. I hired a local guy with a mill and we drove the 60 miles to his house. The trunk was in three pieces, each approx. 3-1/2ft x 8ft. It costs me $275 (including two broken blades @ $25 each). Took about 4 hours to cut and stack it all up. ThenI made four trips in my PU to haul it all home. I ended up with about 475 BF of Red Oak which goes for better than $4 BF around here or as much as $8 BF if you buy it at HD or Lowes or similar places. My point is if you had this much raw wood (still in log form), you could probably get $50 to $100 for each 3' x 8' log.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Bob D.; 09-08-2007, 04:53 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Colleen

Is this cut up into lengths or did they just "fell" the trees? What I have in mind is that groups with saw mills normally want the trunk and large branches to be 8 feet or longer. If they are cut up shorter, they may still want them anyway. Red Oak and Ash are nice woods and don't come cheap. Do you know of a small town called Arcadia, MD that's along route 140? It's about mid way from Reisterstown to the PA line. There's a non profit group there that I think either has or would know another similar group with a sawmill and also equipment to get the wood to it. The group I have in mind holds a show of antique steam and gasoline farm machinery next weekend. They just might really want (make that Love) your wood to cut up during the show. You might be able to get papers so you can get a tax break. This would be a donation by your family to the group. Please post more and I'll do what I can to send you a Private Message about this group and contact info. You may want/need to go over to the show grounds the day before they open. I do know that Friday the 14 and Saturday the 15 they will be very busy. If they don't want your wood, my bet is they will know someone that will and that may pay you something for it too. I do know of a portable sawmill but it's out in south western PA and I doubt the owner would want to travel too far. It's not on a good trailor for going on main highways. But, He might have a way to take your wood up to his place. (Note this guy is half nutz in a good way and just might take it all away for you. He loves gifts in the way of wood.)

Whatever you do don't go paying to have it removed. While I would hate this, it could be cut up, split, dryed and sold for some good money as firewood later on. My bet is for several thousand dollars too. Down here in YUP-PEE Ville a pickup truck of firewood sells for about $250 and that's for some pretty sad stuff.
      Last edited by Woussko; 09-08-2007, 05:12 PM.

Comment

$2100 in June.

90 year old 75+ foot tall Red Oak in my front yard. Strait as a pin. Died most likely due to the droughts over the last 4 years. It just didn't come back this spring. I wish I could have had it milled - instead it will be feeding my fireplace next year. Sad. I split all of it by hand - it was beautiful wood.
        “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

Well you could have, if we had known sooner we could have helped.

It cost you 2100 to get it taken down. That tree should have yielded a few cord of wood. You should be set for a while huh?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

Hi Ccotton! Welcome to the forums!

This is very tempting....I'd love to have some red oak and ash (well, any lumber is better than none, but this is good stuff!!). How long are the pieces? I've got an F250 long-bed, and a willingness to travel and haul.... The next thing is to figure out how to get it milled. My Dad's in Calvert County and takes his logs somewhere around there to get milled up.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              Well you could have, if we had known sooner we could have helped.

It cost you 2100 to get it taken down. That tree should have yielded a few cord of wood. You should be set for a while huh?
              4 new cradles (8' x 5' x 1') in my back yard. My dad took at least a cord as did my brother. Yep, I'd say I'm set for a while.

I would prefer to have the tree still standing in my front yard though
              Last edited by SteveA(MD); 09-11-2007, 09:18 PM.
              “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

Sandy, do what I did and find a sawyer in your area with a portable mill that is willing to travel. I paid by the hour (NOT the BF) and had to pay for any blades damaged (we hit two nails...$25 for each blade). Cost me $275 total and that covered his time for travel to site, setup, cutting three logs, and break down. That worked out to less than $0.60/BF. I had to transport it home and sticker and stack it and stack it properly, then a year later I had my rough lumber. Now it's ready to work.

Steve wrote: "I would prefer to have the tree still standing in my front yard though "

So true, no amount of money or anything else can replace that tree in our lifetimes.
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

C C
                  Where are you?

I sure hope her wood doesn't end up as firewood. There are a good many small stationary sawmills setup for special events and there are many portables out there.

Sandy
                  Do you remember the big show near you we talked about back when it was hotter than the bad place in July? I'm not sure if they have a sawmill (didn't see one) but there are a good many other shows like that one where they have them. People take their tree trunks and large branches to be cut up. Because these shows are not for profit normally all it takes is making a nice donation to the club that owns the sawmill and they will cut it up for you.

Most of them have a small fork lift or a farm tractor with a loader with manure (short) forks on the bucket. They will help with unloading and such.
                  Last edited by Woussko; 09-11-2007, 10:44 PM.

Comment

My Dad and his friend use a Cat with a similar setup on the bucket. I have not been able to find a sawyer in this area yet. I know they're out here, I just haven't found one!! There's 2 or 3 mills around that would probably take the lumber if I agreed to pay for whatever blades they might ruin. It's really a matter of getting out there and finding these guys.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy

Where is the wood that you need ruff sawed? Is it near you or is it down in southern MD near your dad's place? What is the max diameter and length you would need cut up?

I think that Colleen is in hiding as she has not posted again. I bet she found a tree service that was willing to take it away for free and is happy. I remember some time back when a neighbor had to have a huge popular removed. The tree service hired a trucking company to show up with several dump trucks to haul the wood to a good sawmill. This tree service is a big one had a small crane of their own. They sawed (with large chainsaw) it to 9 foot lengths figuring it would end up as 8 foot boards over time. The tree service only charged my neighbor $500 as they knew the wood would bring them some nice $$$.

I can't remember the exacts but that tree was over 4 feet diameter at the base and it took 5 10 Wheeler dump trucks to haul all the usable wood to the sawmill. The little stuff saw the chipper and made nice mulch.

Comment

Looks like Woodweb has a thread running on this very tree (guess my suggestion wasn't too far off the mark).

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forum...pl?read=531975

Maryland postal code: 20684

Company Name: Shade Custom SawingServices Offered: Sawing Company Contact: Dan ShadeAddress: P.O. Box 828 St. Inigoes Maryland 20684Phone: 240-298-4458Fax: Email This CompanyDirectory ID Number: 1582Website: http://www.shadecustomsawing.comDescription: Custom Sawing with Woodmizer LT40 w/ Hydraulics
                        Maryland postal code: 20686

Company Name: Chesapeake Custom Sawmill, LLCServices Offered: Sawing Company Contact: Michael E. SmithAddress: 17510 Pt Lookout Rd., POB 14 St. Mary's City Maryland 20686Phone: 301-481-8399Fax: Email This CompanyDirectory ID Number: 1148Website: Description: Custom Sawing, on-site sawing, salvage timbering. Very large trees ( to 58" diameter)can be milled at felling site, minimizing environmental impact.
                        Maryland postal code: 21054

Company Name: Anderson Log cuttting ServiceServices Offered: Sawing Company Contact: David AndersonAddress: 2621 Davidsonville Rd Gambrills Maryland 21054Phone: 301-261-6069Fax: Email This CompanyDirectory ID Number: 1565Website: Description: Log sawing with LT15 Woodmizer mill on site only. Can handle up to 17'8" long 28" diameter. By the hour or by the board foot.Can quartersaw.
                        Maryland postal code: 21541

Company Name: Thomas TimberServices Offered: Sawing Company Contact: Tim ThomasAddress: 3255 sang run rd . Mchenry Maryland 21541Phone: 1-301-746-5604Fax: Email This CompanyDirectory ID Number: 1358Website: Description: We harvest,and saw all grades logs,and timber.Our company deals in large and small amounts of logs no job to big no job to small.
                        Maryland postal code: 21804

Company Name: Delmarva TimberWorksServices Offered: Sawing Company Contact: Mike ShentonAddress: 1405 Ballinadee Drive Salisbury Maryland 21804Phone: 410-749-4150Fax: Email This CompanyDirectory ID Number: 1109Website: Description: Custom sawing
                        Maryland postal code: 21901

Company Name: Elk Creek Forest ProductsServices Offered: Sawing Company Contact: Jim BatesAddress: 350 Wheatley Rd. NorthEast Maryland 21901Phone: 443-967-0218Fax: Email This CompanyDirectory ID Number: 1688Website: Description: Sawing,tree removal,land clearing,and logging.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Working...
                        X