Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more jointer questions from a rookie

hey everyone,
    i am posting this question again so that i may continue to ponder all my options. Velosapien left some good responses, i just wanted to get some others and if they agree. thanks again.

i am new to this forum. I have recently gotten into wood working and have the ts3650 table saw. I am really happy with it at this point. My question is this-i have a 6 inch table top delta jointer(MISTAKE-no length of bed-rookie mistake)
    1. Should i buy a 6 or 8 inch jointer-i'm a hobby guy who will eventually get into tables, furniture etc(personal use). If I stay with a six inch, what do you think of people saying you should cut down to six inch boards, and rejoint because smaller boards jointed are less likely to warp.
    2. What is the longest length you can comfortable face joint on a rigid with a 45 inch bed before you feel your may no longer be keeping the board flat.
    3. Does the rigid on a home made mobile base really remain stable vs on its four footed stance.
    4. i have read in wood working books that whether or not you have a 6 or 8 inch jointer, you CAN joint boards up to twice the width of your jointer by flipping around and running equal passes then finishing up with a planer( i have the delta 55-280).

I appreciate all of your professional responses, I am afraid of making a financial mistake- i have a single care garage devoted to wood working. thank you all

Re: more jointer questions from a rookie

Hi Newbie!! Welcome to the forums. It's a great place to hang out...and I'm sure there'll be answers to all your questions eventually! I'm a relative newbie as well, but I'll do my best and try not to mislead you.

For a jointer, I went with the Ridgid 6"er. The decision was made based on cost vs. performance. Mostly I use the jointer for edges. For face jointing, I prefer to use a drum sander or a planer. If it's a really twisted up board, a "planer sled" with some properly placed shims will get you a flat face on one side when run in a planer. Here's a thing on the sled:
    http://www.woodsmith.com/files/issue...mple-04-05.pdf
    The planer sled is the second one down on that page.

Obviously, if you can afford the 8" and have space for it, it's the best way to go. The larger the cutting surface, the better.

As far as flipping the board and running the other side, that's fine as long as you feed the same direction (with the grain). It'll take some practice, I think, to get consistent results with that method, but I'm sure it's sound.

For a mobile base, as long as the wheels lock or can be pulled up (like on the base for the 3650) so it rests on it's original feet, it's fine. I use locking wheels on the drum sander base and it's rock solid. It's a good idea to remember to lock the wheels BEFORE starting to feed the piece into the machine however.....lessons learned...

I hope to see some projects from you soon. Good luck!! Let us know which jointer you decide on.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

You may want to read this thread

Comment

I bought the 6" Ridgid jointer (the model preceeding their current model) and I've been very pleased. I use it mainly for jointing and not too much for truing up faces of my boards, but i understand from my cousin who does quite a bit of truing up with his jointer that he'd get the 8"...if room and budget allows for it.

Also, regarding question 1 about ripping down bigger boards. I've seen Norm do this on his show many times and I thought it may be the way to go. Then, I went to a woodworking show several years ago and Kelly Mehler was talking about this very issue. His comment was (and this is almost a direct quote) "If you take an old board that is very wide and FLAT, and rip it down so it won't warp, God ought to have a very bad place for you to go when you get to heaven!" He went on to say if a board hasn't warp over many many years, the odds are that it will stay flat, and a wide flat board is extremely rare nowadays, and (almost literally) priceless.

Happy buying

Comment

Working...
        X