X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New saw

finally broke down and and got the 3650. Just got tired of waiting. GOt it put together in a couple of days but I must say it was a real PIA as a one man job. I did have to get the wife to help put the wings on after it was upright.

NoW the question is do I use T9 or another product called top-cote I would assume both are good but which is best? I'm located in SC and the shop does have AC that runs pretty much all the time
    Last edited by cmccarter; 09-11-2007, 08:31 PM.

Re: New saw

Topcoat is a good start. Then use Johnsons paste wax occasionally.

Comment

I am one of the strange ones that found Johnsons Paste Wax to be far better than top coat in my past heated garages and through the humid summers. I moved a year ago April and still do not have my wood shop built and have a huge list of other projects on the go so the cast iron is in storage at the side of the garage. I coated it with T9 (thick coat no wipe off) and no rust to be seen. I think I will try T9 (wiped) and then coat of JPW when I get my shop setup

Comment

T-9 is what I use and I think thats about as good as it gets. Really good stuff. Holds the rust back for a very long time.

Comment

I use the same method as weblance does and its worked flawlessly for me. That being said, T-9 received the highest rating as a rust protectant in a WOOD Magazine test a few years ago.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I've had good results from T-9 and paste wax. Apply it, wipe it down and let it dry, buff it, then use 2 coats of wax.

As BD pointed out, T-9 was tested as the best in the group by Wood.

Comment

A couple other thoughts on minimizing the rust on a cast iron table:

1. Sweep off the sawdust at the end of the day's use.
              2. Don't leave wet high moisture content wood (ie treated lumber fresh from the store or raw wood) laying on it overnight
              3. Don't leave high acid woods like oak or black walnut laying on it in humid weather.

DAMHIKT!!

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
              X