Powder Coat on MDF...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Coat on MDF...?

Just wondering if anyone has powder coated MDF .?

Do you use a sealer first? No sealer?

Appreciate some advice on this. Thanks.

Re: Powder Coat on MDF...?

Somehow that doesn't sound right. Powder coat needs to be baked at about 400F.

Comment

And charged electricly? Don't know if you can do that. Interesting question.
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
        And charged electricly? Don't know if you can do that. Interesting question.
        The electric current is so the powder will stick to the product. You charge the powder with negative ions, the product with positive. The powdered paint will stick to the product long enough to go through the baking process.

I don't think you can powder-coat MDF as the heating process would ruin the MDF. It takes a high temp. to get the powder to flow as a liquid and cover the surface. I believe it's a high enough temperature that the MDF would combust. Even if you could get the powder to stick to the MDF without a charge (some kind of glue or something), the temperature needed to bake the powder would be too high.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Actually it can be done commercially, but I don't know if it's DIYable.
          http://www.powdercoating.org/wood/content.htm

Comment

I've had bikes professionally powder coated and they won't work on parts if that are not made of materials that can tolerate the heat. Only stuff like steel and titanium and certain types of aluminium. Fancy materials like carbon fiber and even certain blends of aluminium and scandium will be damaged.
            Out of curiosity I searched on powdercoating wood products and it turns out it is possible but apparently required highly specialized furnaces that can heat up only the powder surface. Conventional powder coating ovens will not necessarily set the material on fire but will warp, crack, or otherwise completely ruin the piece. So yes, it definately is possible but doesn't look like the equipment required is something you'll find in a DIYer's garage.
            Last edited by Velosapien; 09-13-2007, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks, gentlemen.

We'll have to use sealer and paint for now. My neighbor does powder coating and says it is possible. However, he is not set up for wood.

Comment

Originally posted by jbateman View Post
                Actually it can be done commercially, but I don't know if it's DIYable.
                http://www.powdercoating.org/wood/content.htm
                Thanks for that link, very interesting read. I always thought the new MDF stuff was coated in a melamine type paint, now I know better

Comment

Working...
                X