identifying lead paint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• identifying lead paint

i picked up some great old windows from a person throwing them away. I want to sand the old paint off the frame and use them for a project.

They look pretty old (50 years maybe), how can i tell if the paint is lead or not? I would just go ahead and sand them anyways if i had the right gear, but my NIOSH 95 respirator is no good for lead dust!

Suggestions?

Re: identifying lead paint

I have seen kits at ACE that allows one to test the paint, but if there 50 years old you can all most guarantee that there is lead paint on them.

http://www.google.com/products?sourc...=1&sa=N&tab=wf
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Can't you just use paint stripper instead of sanding?

Comment

http://www.ronhazelton.com/howto/lead_paint_removal.htm

This link shows stripping the paint. . .and the funny part. . . there is a link to win a free Ridgid seesnake micro

Joey
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Considering the age I would work assuming that there is lead paint somewhere there.
          Use paint stripper and scrape off any paint that isn't removed by the stripper. That should get off enough where you can get away with a minimum of sanding.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I think I can geneally tell by tasting a small paint chip but I can't remember anymore.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
            X