Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6" dado on 10" saw?

I'm new to wood working so I'm going through a few growing pains

I inherited most of my shop. Included in the "stuff" were two sets of Dado blades. One is 8" and the other is 6". In every situation I've seen, the 8" dado is the one I'd use on a 10" table saw. Should I ever use the 6" dado? Should I ever not use it?

(It just occurred to me that I never did check to see if the 6" would fit on the saw, so this may be a really dumb question)

Re: 6" dado on 10" saw?

As long as the 6" dado can fit the arbor of your saw then you should have no problem. Take a look at the last few posts of the attached thread they bring up a nice point of using the 6" rather than the 8".

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12836

Comment

I'm not sure how they came up with faster cuts with a 6 inch dado in the other thread. Physics would argue against that. The teeth on a smaller diameter blade will travel less distance if the RPM remains the same. Therefore they travel slower.

You can use a 6 inch dado on a 10 inch saw no problem. With equal quality dados the only advantage would be less strain on the motor.

Comment

Expanding a little on the less strain on the motor point........ Since you didn't mention what model of table saw you have, the size of dado set you use could make a big difference. If you have a cabinet saw with a motor in the 3HP and up category you can use either a 6" or 8" set with no worries. For a 2HP or 1½HP powered contractor styled saw an 8" set will work but a 6" set would be a better choice IMO. I have and use both on my contractor saw and find the 6" spins much easier at start up. If you have a direct drive benchtop saw then I'd suggest you only use a 6" set.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I think the faster cuts with a 6" dado set would be because there is less strain on the motor of a lower powered saw because of the reduced weight of the set. (Of course, the teeth would be moving faster on the 8" simply because they are covering more distance at the same rpms.) Perhaps you could move the board through the cut faster with less chance of stalling because the saw is spinning less mass. Then again, maybe the 6" that the poster had was a better quality, sharper set than his 8".
          Joe Spear

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            Expanding a little on the less strain on the motor point........ Since you didn't mention what model of table saw you have, the size of dado set you use could make a big difference. If you have a cabinet saw with a motor in the 3HP and up category you can use either a 6" or 8" set with no worries. For a 2HP or 1½HP powered contractor styled saw an 8" set will work but a 6" set would be a better choice IMO. I have and use both on my contractor saw and find the 6" spins much easier at start up. If you have a direct drive benchtop saw then I'd suggest you only use a 6" set.
            I have the Craftsman hybrid saw. the one that looks like a cabinet saw but is classified as a hybrid. (it's also marketed as a Steel City and Delta saw). Total horsepower is 1 3/4. To help with making the motor run better at peak, I've rewired it to 220. So it looks like I'll just have to try both sets and see what works better.

Thanks for all the input!

Comment

There has been a lot of discussion on WoodNet about using 220 vs. 110. The motor ultimately sees no difference if both use the proper size wiring and have no other draws on the circuit. Some people see an improvement in performance with the 220 simply because they were running on a non-dedicated 110 circuit that had other things on it, like lights or appliances, and was therefore not sending full power to the power tool.
              Joe Spear

Comment

Either should work well. It's more likely that they are design difference or differences in their sharpness. Try both and see which you like.

I have the 22124 version of the Sears hybrid and have been very happy with it. WIth a good blade and good alignment, it'll cut anything well with relative ease.

Comment

I use a 6" Diablo dado set on my Ridgid TS2400. It works pretty good for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X