wire brush wheel for angle grinder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wire brush wheel for angle grinder?

I have been looking for a wire brush wheel for my 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a standard 5/8 in arbor, but can't find one! I have a wire brush cup, but can't find a wheel. Ideally I'd want a fine and course wire brush wheel - not the course twisted wire brush wheel. Does anyone know of a source, I've looked, but not found one. The closest I have found at my local woodworkimg store is a 4 in wire brush wheel that fits a 3/8-1/2 arbor but was rated to 4500 rpm even though it had a picture of an angle grinder on the pack.

I want to use it to "clean" up old wood to give the surface some character and to some degree cut into the grain - works on pine, not so much on any of the hardwoods.

Thanks, Dennis.
    Last edited by DWfromUK; 09-18-2007, 05:49 PM.

Re: wire brush wheel for angle grinder?

I think you'll have better luck at an industrial supply house or a good serious tool dealer. Please click this link which will take you to a section of the OSBORN online catalog. They make all kinds of brushes and wheels. This should give you some ideas and be sure to note part numbers. Also, be sure the brush wheel is rated for 15,000 RPM or higher or you'll end up with wires flying all over and you'll get really hurt.

Brushes that I think you may like for your needs
    http://www.osborn.com/XTab.aspx?cat=...sh&grp=211TT04

You can download their main catalog as a big .PDF file here
    http://www.osborn.com/lit/320c.pdf
    Last edited by Woussko; 09-18-2007, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Be very, very carefull with an angle grinder set up with a flat, knotted wire brush. It is a usefull tool, but it is in my opinion one of the most hazardous tools I have used. Safety glasses and full face protection, short sleeves etc, are a must. It will throw wires, the brush will catch edges and it will launch itself out of your hands. I have posted about this before, and I will continue to do so whenever I see someone considering an angle grinder set up with a flat knotted wire wheel. Be carefull.
      Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevan Sweeney View Post
        Be very, very carefull with an angle grinder set up with a flat, knotted wire brush. It is a usefull tool, but it is in my opinion one of the most hazardous tools I have used. Safety glasses and full face protection, short sleeves etc, are a must. It will throw wires, the brush will catch edges and it will launch itself out of your hands. I have posted about this before, and I will continue to do so whenever I see someone considering an angle grinder set up with a flat knotted wire wheel. Be carefull.
        Steve.
        I second this..I've used them ,full face protection ,heavy gloves ie welding gloves and carharts will save your skin a good hat too.I've done some crazy things with tools but these things can be scary.Just my 2 cents
        Sam

Comment

I appreciate the words of caution. I was using the wire brush cup a few days ago. I was wearing protection, but had shorts on - outside in AZ when its 107 degress - and had to pluck out a wire from my leg! I don't intend to use the knotted/twisted brush BTW. Full face shield and welding gloves are a great idea.

Comment

I will put the third vote on being very careful. I personally hate the high speed of an angle (4-5 inch) for this use. When those wires fly it's like getting a shotgun blast of little pins.

Comment

I don't have the catalog right in front of me, but as I recall, the Craftsman catalog offers a variety of brushes and wheels for the angle grinder. What they have in the store, may be another story though.

CWS

Comment

Working...
              X