X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre Gauge for TS3650

I recently purchased the demo 3650 from a local home depot store at a very deep discount. It was missing the rails for the rip fence and the mitre gauge. I bought a Delta fence and rail assembly from Lowes (scandalous I know) I have read that this fence system is nicer than the factory one (even though I think I will lose 6 inches of width). I am not sure what I should do about the mitre gauge. Even with the 160 dollar fence and rail I am still substantially below the retail price of the saw so I still have some room for upgrades. Would it be best to just order the Ridgid gauge or is there a better one out there for this saw?

Rick

Re: Mitre Gauge for TS3650

Don't order the Ridgid mitre gauge. It is okay for an OEM gauge, but there are much better ones available. I have the Incra 1000 (about $105) and it is a major improvement. I'm sure you'll hear recommendations for other mitre gauges, or even going with sleds.

Something to look for in any mitre gauge is that the bar can be adjusted for a no play fit in the slot. After that it your pick of features.
    Dick

Comment

When I upgraded to the Incra 1000SE miter gauge a few years ago the only regret I've had is that I didn't do it years before. If you watch for a sale, you can usually find the 1000SE for close to the price of the 1000. For a basic no frills miter gauge, the Incra V27 also receives high marks.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Incra has some great choices. The basic V27 is a great bargain...add a shop built hardwood fence and you're golden.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
          Incra has some great choices. The basic V27 is a great bargain...add a shop built hardwood fence and you're golden.

The V27 gets my vote also. I love mine.

Comment

OK, I hear you loud and clear, I won't be buying that 48 dollar Ridgid replacement. Thanks for all of your advice.

Rick

Comment

Just bought an Osbourne EB-3. All I can say is FANTASTIC!
              On sale as well - $103.
              “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

Were you lucky enough to get one of the close-out Unifences or a close-out Biesemeier? Many people got them for $80 apiece, some for even less. Not bad for $400 items. Or did you get A Delta T-Square, a level down from the Uni and Bies, but still an excellent fence? Many after-market miter gauges are far better than the original Ridgid. Some woodworkers like the Osbourne EB-3. (I didn't care for it and sold mine.) I now have a SmartMiter sled and an Incra 1000 and an Icra 1000 SE. (The 1000 is part of a dedicated box joint jig now.) I like them very much. Some people swear by the Kreg or the Jessem or the Rockler. There are so many out there. You will have a great saw when you're finished building it. I used to have the 3650's predecessor, the 3612, with a Vega fence and the above-mentioned miter gauges. It served me well until I got cabinet-saw fever. Try some of the other forums for opinions: WoodNet, Sawmill Creek, Knots (the Taunton woodworking site), or Woodworking at the WWA. You may be confused over the vast amount of information and contradictory opinions, but you'll learn a lot.
                Joe Spear

Comment

Since the 3650 is a left tilt saw, do people tend to set their miter gauge up for the right hand slot? Are there any drawbacks to using the right hand slot?

-Thanks

Comment

The only drawback would be if you are not used to the change of position and your hand coordination was off. Why would the fact that the saw is a left-tilt have anything to do with which miter slot is used? Just about everybody I know of uses the miter gauge in the left slot no matter which way the blade tilts.
                    Joe Spear

Comment

In order to utilize the rule markings and other features with my miter gauge I pretty much have to use miter gauge in the left miter slot.
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Spear View Post
                        Were you lucky enough to get one of the close-out Unifences or a close-out Biesemeier? Many people got them for $80 apiece, some for even less. Not bad for $400 items. Or did you get A Delta T-Square, a level down from the Uni and Bies, but still an excellent fence? Many after-market miter gauges are far better than the original Ridgid. Some woodworkers like the Osbourne EB-3. (I didn't care for it and sold mine.) I now have a SmartMiter sled and an Incra 1000 and an Icra 1000 SE. (The 1000 is part of a dedicated box joint jig now.) I like them very much. Some people swear by the Kreg or the Jessem or the Rockler. There are so many out there. You will have a great saw when you're finished building it. I used to have the 3650's predecessor, the 3612, with a Vega fence and the above-mentioned miter gauges. It served me well until I got cabinet-saw fever. Try some of the other forums for opinions: WoodNet, Sawmill Creek, Knots (the Taunton woodworking site), or Woodworking at the WWA. You may be confused over the vast amount of information and contradictory opinions, but you'll learn a lot.
                        Nope, I looked in 2 of the local Lowes and neither one had the clearance ones so I ended up buying the A Delta T-Square (T2 I think it is called), I think it was $160 so still cheaper than buying the replacement parts for the ridgid but not like the killer $80 deal others got.

Comment

The T2 is a fine fence.
                          Joe Spear

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Spear View Post
                            Why would the fact that the saw is a left-tilt have anything to do with which miter slot is used?
                            The concern I have read about is that if you are making a beveled cut, the blade tilts in towards the fence so you may have to reposition it for clearance. The situation probably doesn't come up often enough to worry about, I guess.

Comment

The concern about a piece being trapped between the blade and the fence and kicking back has to do with a rip cut. You would not be using a miter gauge for a rip cut.
                              Joe Spear

Comment

Working...
                              X