• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harbour Freight Tools

My rule of thumb for HF tools is...

Never buy HF tools!

Comment

Well, if I had unlimited funds I wouldn't consider them either.

Alas.......I do not.

Comment

Some talk of "cheap" angle grinders in this thread.

I know this is late notice, but Home Depot has a special right now on Ryobi 4-1/2" angle grinders. A 2-pack for just under $40.

It's on p. 6 of this weeks flyer (you can find it on the web).

I had to ask, they were behind the contractors desk, but I got a pair.

Having had a HF grinder (maybe 2, I forget?), these are better. Indeed, they are not as good as my 20 year-old B&D industrial, but they don't cost like one, either.

$20 a piece isn't bad......

Comment

a number of months back h.d. had bosch 4.5'' angle grinders with a bosch diamond blade. same deal 2 for $79.00

i must have been there when it started as the display was full. went back a few days later and it was empty

no fear as i ended up with 4- 2 packs

nice holiday gifts

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            a number of months back h.d. had bosch 4.5'' angle grinders with a bosch diamond blade. same deal 2 for $79.00

i must have been there when it started as the display was full. went back a few days later and it was empty

no fear as i ended up with 4- 2 packs

nice holiday gifts

rick.
            I got in on the same deal for my sons and son-in-laws Christmas presents.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I met my wife at Harbor Freight

And she truly is as big as aisle 3

I bought one of those winch type lifts for the back of my truck so I can get my Spartan equipment (bad word here, heh) in and out of my plumbing rig.

Did some small modifications and works quite well.

There are some things I stay away from but those 3 piece step drill bits are simply the best deal I've ever seen, and they last, for $9.99

Go get a step drill from a electrical supply and you'll drop $50-$80 like you overdosed on metamucil at a church function.

Been working for 4 years now, saved me countless hemorhoids and pain pills!!!! And that lift is less than $300, trigger up/down operated.

On their 4" angle grinders for $12 I use diamond blades for cutting steel/cast iron/copper piping and I disassemble them when I first get them.

That little turbine inside of them always breaks into pieces and there's no point leaving them in knowing the outcome. The grinder runs hotter

but just be careful how long you run them, have a spare on the truck because you might need it. Storage bins, bolts/screws/pins/washer/allen keys
              /screwdrivers/socket sets are all good. Nylon cable ties are awesome for the price compared to the other places and what they charge.

Some break but the majority hold.
              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 09-29-2007, 02:57 PM.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                I got in on the same deal for my sons and son-in-laws Christmas presents.

Mark
                mark, now they know what you bought them

keep them and get something else

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Harbor Freight Tools

Please note that it is Harbor Freight Tools and not Harbour

As to Jim's posting about Forney, here's a link where people can read about them if interested. (Forney Industries)
                  http://www.forneyind.com/

There is also a Forney Corp.
                  http://www.forneycorp.com/utcfs/Temp...Id=389,00.html
                  Last edited by Woussko; 09-30-2007, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                    Please note that it is Harbor Freight Tools and not Harbour
                    Of course to DWfromUK (Thread Creator) it's Harbour.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      Of course to DWfromUK (Thread Creator) it's Harbour.

Mark
                      That it would be.

Woussko needs his paws tied together.

Comment

My general rule of thumb is that if it has a tail, I don't get it from HF, in general their powered tools aren't all that great. That said though, you can't beat their prices on light and mid-duty clamps and other expendables, I might go in there once or twice a month and come out with a half dozen clamps or so, you can never have too many clamps.

Comment

I myself dont do my tool shopping at Habor freight. But God Bless it, every time I walk in one, I alway's come out with less money than I walked in with.
                          Like a kid in a candy store. ROTFLMAO.
                          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                          Be safe out there folks
                          Bob B
                          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

My dad used to always say, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." Unfortunately, I'm not always good at following that wise adage. I had to be scr_wed over 3 or 4 times before I learned to spend my money elsewhere.

Bought an electric 2hp pancake air compressor from HF. Worked passably though was really LOUD and blew out oil. The next season I went to use it and it would barely turn over. A brush wasn't getting contact. Took it to a small engine repair shop. He showed me about 10 different things that would fail next. Bought a Hitachi compressor for twice the price. It is still going strong 10 years later....oh, and it is quiet and clean.

Bought a cast iron work vise. How can you screw up a big chunk of iron? Easy. The first time I clamped something in it one side broke right off. Thing must have weighed 25lbs. Not worth shipping back.

Bought a steel work desk. That should be OK. It is just a desk of steel plates. How can you screw that up. When it came it was a flat box that must have had 50 sheets of steel in it with tiny holes around the edge. There was a little bag of 1/4" screws and nuts. No instructions. I spent about 1/2 hour trying to figure out how it could possibly go together and realizing it would probably take 8 or 10 man hours to do that....before I taped it up and carted it down to the curb for the morning trash.

Bought a set of "titanium" tipped drills. They rounded right over when I tried to drill in steel. I was able to fashion one as a pivot pin when I lost one out of a rifle trigger assembly so it wasn't a total loss.

Needless to say the HF catalog goes right in the trash with the rest of the junk mail.

Comment

Disaster, that was funny. At least it did'nt land on your toes.

Comment

I bought a 21 deg framing nailer about 6 months ago and just used it to put siding up on a house. For the $50 I paid for it, I would recommend it to anyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X