X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer Knife Sharpening

I know its a good idea to have an extra set of knives around for when the other set is out getting sharpened. What I don't know is how many sharpening jobs can one expect to get out of a set of knives. Assuming that there is no major damage done to the knives, about how many sharpening jobs can a set of knives handle? BTW, I'm talking about HSS knives.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: Jointer Knife Sharpening

I don't know how many times they can be sharpened but the manaul says this: new ones start out at 11/16" and they can be sharpened till they reach 9/16" wide.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

If you take it in to a shop and they power grind the entire surface you would still get several sharpenings. I do mine by hand and am still on the same 2 sets after about 5 years with very little wear, should get another 5 years and I sharpen about once a month or so. I just sand (scary sharp method) a micro bevel and then course sand to the main angle maybe once a year

Comment

This is only my view..that said..buy 3 sets of blades and a makita wet power hone.Unless your going thru nails or in a commercial type shop that'll probably last your lifetime with a tiny bit of care.Gloves are nice to use with the power hone as those blades get extremely sharp.
        Sam

Comment

I think this is the Makita sharpener in mind in case you want to take a look and read up more about it. They say it's for planer blades and more. I bet it would make a nice sharpener for many more things. Hmmmm ... This is a machine I need to take a look at sometime.
          http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...det&tag=9820-2

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
            I think this is the Makita sharpener in mind in case you want to take a look and read up more about it. They say it's for planer blades and more. I bet it would make a nice sharpener for many more things. Hmmmm ... This is a machine I need to take a look at sometime.
            http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...det&tag=9820-2
            Yup thats it I've had it for many years.Its not fast but patience produces a nice edge.I have the coarse and fine disc's for it..the fine is still in its box.A great tool just very slow.It will be taken in my move over seas.Its also very messy to use..I take it outside to use.It also saves metal over using the belsaw planer blade sharpener I have too and is more accurate..I think its a must have tool for a non commercial shop for thickness type blades..works great on knives too just becareful not over use one spot.
            Sam

Comment

I bought a number of years ago the (Delta 23-710) wet grinder with the , I use it to sharpen my 12" planer knives, and my jointer knives with the optional knife sharpener, http://www.google.com/products?q=Del...&hl=en&show=dd

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-23-710-H.../dp/B00002240G

amazons reviews are not the best on it, but the one I bought works well and is fairly easy to use, and I would re buy

a recondition unit,
              http://www.cpowoodworking.com/grinders/23-710r.html

google's products page on it,
              http://www.google.com/products?num=1...-8&sa=N&tab=wf
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

That Makita looks like a nice tool to have but the cost is a little bit much for my use. I could buy 16+ sets of Freud knives for the cost of that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  That Makita looks like a nice tool to have but the cost is a little bit much for my use. I could buy 16+ sets of Freud knives for the cost of that thing.
                  WOWZERSSSS I just looked on amazon at the price for 1 now.I've had mine I'd guess 20 years maybe more and have used it very heavily.Forget what I paid back then for it maybe 150$ ish maybe less its been a long time ago.I used to sharpen blades as a hobby biz for a few friends so theres no way I could guess at the number of blades that have been thru it.At the price now yea you can buy a lot of blades at toss them when dull.
                  Still after using 1 if I had to replace it I probably would with a new makita.Like I said they are slow to use and not very powerful but that can save on how much metal is removed too.If I have any gripe on it its the mess made during use.I dont have that shop anymore but even then I took it outside on a junk table and sat in a lawn chair during use.Now I sit it on the deck outside my little shop and let it fling water wherever it wants to.Figure on wearing coveralls too or changing your shirt after usage.I'm still in sticker shock on the price now.But I kinda remember paying like 70 bucks for my 1st 9.6v makita drill on sale.I cant count the batteries I've bought replaced over the years for it and I did use it on the job for about 10 years..replaced its switch motor once with a used 1 I got from a junker.
                  Im rambling sorry..the sharpener is a good tool but yea at that price for a homeshop I'd think twice too.
                  Sam

Comment

BD, I bought my jointer in 1964 (used, only slightly) and got two extra sets of blades with it. I have sent them out for sharpening and still have all three sets. I have used it extensively, but I try not to joint nails, gravel etc. Course, I don't know what a big brick of cheese would do to the blades...
                    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                      ......... I try not to joint nails, gravel etc. Course, I don't know what a big brick of cheese would do to the blades...
                      Jim
                      Don't know about the blades either but that sure would be a fancy cheese slicer.

Comment

Working...
                      X